Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrical gremlins, help!

Unhappy Electrical gremlins, help!

So last Sunday I went to start my G60 & found the battery was totally flat. Put it on charge over night. Borrowed the multi meter from work Monday. In the eveing I checked the Battery it had 12.1V. So I put it back on the car, started up strait away used the multi meter & it was at 14V with the engine running so the alternator was charging. Went to do a few bits on it this afternoon & the battery is dead again! I thought the initial dead battery was due to me cranking the engine over lots when I changed the vale stem oil seal a few weeks ago setting the timing back up ect. not driving enough to recharge it.
    I have never had any power drain issues in the past with this car. Recently I tried a boost return delete so I have disturbed /disconnected some of the wiring at the back of the engine, but put the boost pipe back on because the whooshing noise was getting on my nerves. Also when I was putting the top of the engine back together after changing the oil seal. I managed to zap the alternator with one of the spark plug leads even though the ignition was tuned off at the time! Any ideas where to start looking?

Are you still getting 14v at the battery when running.
    I ask because i had a power surge hit my alternator and it blew a diode.
    Also how new is your battery that may have come to the end of its life ?
    Lastly is your charge light going out on your dash after starting.
    If its staying on there could be an issue with your charging circuit.
    Last edited by Dazz_G60_Wales; 1 Week Ago at 5:09 PM.
    Dazz
    Nugget G60 .
    Slowly getting the bananarado back to standard guise.

14V at the battery & alternator when running.
    Thinking I may have damaged the diode something when I zapped it with the spark plug lead.
    The battery is not more than 2 years old & a new 95A alternator was fitted at the same time.
    Charge light goes out after starting.
    Last edited by vonslack; 1 Week Ago at 6:47 PM.

Most likely a dead battery. The best way to tell is to measure the voltage drop, from fully charged, when you get the ignition on in the morning before you start it. A fully charged lead acid battery should read 12.6 to 12.8 volts (your 12.1 was barely half full), and it should drop to no less than about 12.4 once you are sat in the car ignition on waiting to turn the crank (no headlights or heater electricals, obviously).

Any time spent discharged means capacity loss for a lead acid battery, and frankly Corrados that sit still all the time are always gonna kill batteries.

If it's reading 14v while charging then it's charging fine.

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.
    [ WARNING: the above message may contain irony, sarcasm and outright lies. ]

** Every time you think about sex, another Corrado gets written off. **

Check your earths are tidy also any relays that could be stuck open i.e fuel pump
    Also does your fam run on long after engine off.
    My fan used to run on too long and that drained my battery.
    Changed the sensor and now better.

Dazz
    Nugget G60 .
    Slowly getting the bananarado back to standard guise.

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    12.1V would struggle to turn over an engine with compression, I always try to compare voltages on several cars to ensure the readings its giving are meaningful

I would be happy if it was just a duff battery, but i suspect something is draining it down. Earths where ok last time I looked at them a lot of the wiring is a mess though! The fuel pump relay was chattering when I tried to start it last week, when the battery first went flat. The fan does run on when the engine is hot but seems to switch off after a reasonable amount of time. 12.1V is on the low side. Gonna give the battery a 24Hr charge, borrow the volt meter tomorrow & see what its up to. If it gets up to a good voltage I will put it back on the car & connect the meter so I can see how much current is being drawn without any thing switched on.

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    Charge it, prove it will start the car then disconnect it for a similar period its been left for in the past.

Reconnect, if it starts you have a drain issue (interior light, boot light, glovebox light or radio are the common battery drains).

And remember that a weak battery will go flat fast on even a minor drain. All these cars have minor drains.. if they're not in use often to be recharged you pretty much have no choice but to keep them on trickle charge.

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.
    [ WARNING: the above message may contain irony, sarcasm and outright lies. ]

** Every time you think about sex, another Corrado gets written off. **

Regular
    Charge the battery get a reading 30 minutes after charging,Check the voltage the next morning and see what voltage readings
    The battery should be about 12.80 volt after charging
    If the voltage is below 12 voltage the battery is dead