Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electrical gremlins, help!

So after the 24ish hr charge the battery was at 13.18V when I took it off the charger. Put it back on the car. Started no problem. 14.6V at the alternator with the engine running. Switched the engine off & connected the Ammeter between the +ive lead & the +ive on the battery a draw of 2.28A! With everything switched off. I have so far checked the boot, glovebox & interior light. Pulled all the fuses & relays one at a time no change.The head unit. I gave up after it got dark & my head torch went flat! I have left the battery in the car but disconnected for now.

2.2A is only 30 Watts - the dash lights and ECU can pull that easily. Plus, if you connect an ammeter how long did you wait before taking a reading? If you only just connected it - there's many self checks will take place at first power on and the current drain is likely to be higher.

Your 13.1v is sign the battery hasn't rested enough after charging, that doesn't mean much. The only numbers that really tell the truth are the voltage output by the battery when under load. If recommend fully charging the battery, then leave it at least an hour off the car; then read the voltage. Put it back on the car and measure the voltage again with the ignition and some lights on. It should drop, but not too far, and more importantly it should recover to 12.6v or so once the load stops. If you genuinely have 2+ amps constantly then you would want to check anything with a permanent live.. like the stereo, the engine coolant run-on circuit and the window controls.

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.
    Last edited by dr_mat; 1 Week Ago at 8:28 PM.
    [ WARNING: the above message may contain irony, sarcasm and outright lies. ]

** Every time you think about sex, another Corrado gets written off. **

So after leaving the battery in the car but disconnected for a couple of days it is had 12.88 Volts. Did some more where's the current going tests by taking out the hidden fuse that does the electric windows ect. Disconnected the cooling fan & the heater blower fan. No change in the 2.28A current draw. I took out the diode pack from the alternator & disconnected the +ive lead from this put the tester between the bolt & +ive lead reconnected the battery no change so proved the diode pack isn't at fault. put back together. Any way after about 20 minutes with the tester back on between the+ive on the Battery & the main +ive lead the current draw went down to 1.48A. So now i am thinking I didn't charge it for long enough the other week or its not holding a full charge anymore (knackered). Something is switching on when the car is parked up that I don't know about, central locking pump maybe? I would be pretty happy if the current draw stays at 1.48V because of what Dr Mat said & I also did a comparison test on my mk2 caddy sdi van which will start fine after being parked up for weeks & that had a current draw of 1.76A strait after I connected the test meter.

How old is the battery?
    1996 Corrado VR6 Midnight Blue
    2007 Lotus Elise 111r Super Touring
    1996 Land Rover Defender County
    2010 BMW 320 Touring 184 SE

Ok yeah you'd definitely not got the battery fully charged before. Monitor it a while longer. They do wear out on cars that get little use.

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.
    [ WARNING: the above message may contain irony, sarcasm and outright lies. ]

** Every time you think about sex, another Corrado gets written off. **