Thread: ABS pump outlet unions

ABS pump outlet unions

I've changed a couple of brake lines today, however the fitting/union on the ABS pump for the rear left is larger than the other three outlets - 12mm as opposed to 10mm. The others have all previously had the original lines replaced.

I found a photo of a pump on another forum, but it also looks like mine, with the rear left union being a larger diameter.

Can anyone advise whether this normal, or that all the original lines had 12mm fittings.

And, if possible - where can I get a union from to convert it to accept the 10mm brake pipe fitting?
    1993 Corrado 16v

It's common on VW's for one or 2 of the unions to be larger on the ABS pumps. I'm not sure why but I have encountered it a few times over the years. Not sure if you can get a converter union, you may need to replace the union on the pipe with a 12mm.
    MY 1991 G60 CURRENTLY IN RESTORATION
    http://the-corrado.net/showthread.ph...-Daily-Project

Thanks

I think I've found an adaptor to reduce from 12 to 10mm, will update when I've fitted it, fingers crossed....

1993 Corrado 16v

Yes this seems to be normal, mine is like it and at first I assumed someone had oversized it at one point due to a damaged threat. But now I think it may be so you know which line feeds which rear brake.

When I replaced my brake lines a few months ago I got the correct size male end off of ebay. I think they were m12x1.0 3/16 unions.

Regular
    I work for a Renault dealership and the larger brake pipe union is the brake fluid feed from the brake master clylinder. Which allows more brake fluid though. But this may not be the case for VW.

Quote Originally Posted by 1200 bandit View Post
    I work for a Renault dealership and the larger brake pipe union is the brake fluid feed from the brake master clylinder. Which allows more brake fluid though. But this may not be the case for VW.
    Not the same on the corrado, the feeds might have larger unions (can't remember right now) but the one being discussed is one of the rear brake lines.

M12x1 to M10x1 reducer fitted - all sorted

IMG_20171118_094645.jpg

I've replaced a few brake pipes for the upcoming MOT, whilst bleeding the rears I found brake pipes on top of the axle had been crushed by the body where it was set so low on the coilovers. I raised it shortly after buying, t'was tooooo low....
    Last edited by Blakey77; 5 Days Ago at 7:52 PM.
    1993 Corrado 16v