Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forged Pistons?

Enthusiast

Forged Pistons?

Anyone running forged pistons in their VR?

Just curious on experience with them? Piston slap? Clatter? What brand? Etc.

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeba View Post
    Anyone running forged pistons in their VR?

Just curious on experience with them? Piston slap? Clatter? What brand? Etc.
    i know i have a brand in my brain somewhere but cant bloody locate it lol

try dropping Kev Bacon a PM m8, i am pretty sure he will know lots that you want to understand & likely more

AFIK they would normally looked at as an option if you currently have piston slap - as they would be to uprate slightly to a true 3 litre & in combination with a block re-bore & re-hone to remove any ovaling & cater for the oversized piston compared to OE
    Bramber metallic VR6 bring on the grins as the VR sings!!!!
    Stealth head rebuild, 263's, BMC CDA, Roose M/Sport hoses, VT engine mount, KW V1s
    KUR2Y loom, daves16v short shifter, 2.5" Longlife SS exhaust with sport cat, lots of shiny bolts & 210bhp
    Alpine White 1.8 16v, Kamei skirts, Powerflow SS exhaust, back on my drive April 2014

I have Wossner pistons and Conrods in mine. It's also been re-bored. Don't ask me any technical questions as I haven't a clue. But beyond the normal whir of the aux belts and pulleys, my VR6 sounds fine.
    Kev Bacon or indeed Vince at Stealth Racing will have supreme Techie knowledge
    Last edited by MikeVR6; 6 Days Ago at 10:54 AM.
    On my 3rd Rado now. This is the last!
    N Reg VR6 Supercharged Mystic Blue Storm. Leccy Recaros, VDOs, Headlight Washers, Moonroof, A/C, the lot! 16" BBS LM Reps, Vortech V9 Stage 2, Schimmel Cams, Jetex auspuff.
    CCGB#1817

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeVR6 View Post
    I have Woessner pistons and Conrods in mine. It's also been re-bored. Don't ask me any technical questions as I haven't a clue. But beyond the normal whir of the aux belts and pulleys, my VR6 sounds fine.
    Kev Bacon or indeed Vince at Stealth Racing will have supreme Techie knowledge
    ahhh haaaa

that's the puppy MikeVR6!!! Wossner 3 litres, as soon as i read your post it clanged lol
    Last edited by g0ldf1ng3r; 2 Weeks Ago at 9:44 AM.
    Bramber metallic VR6 bring on the grins as the VR sings!!!!
    Stealth head rebuild, 263's, BMC CDA, Roose M/Sport hoses, VT engine mount, KW V1s
    KUR2Y loom, daves16v short shifter, 2.5" Longlife SS exhaust with sport cat, lots of shiny bolts & 210bhp
    Alpine White 1.8 16v, Kamei skirts, Powerflow SS exhaust, back on my drive April 2014

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    Wossner, J E and Wiseco have all made oversize pistons in the past. I think I’ve read that the weights can differ between brands?

mahle also do them
    Hasan
    VR6 Auto to manual conversion, beige leather, aircon, TT comps, blue dash lights & switches, Koni TA/Nothelle springs, OBD2, 264 cams

my car

As above, Wossner is the usual one I head of for VR's. I read a while ago Kev saying his used to rattle a bit on startup but as far as I'm aware thats to be expected. Oil choice is a big one as you can't just slap any old rubbish in. What are you looking to achieve? High compression for N/A, low compression for turbo or just boring it out?

If its just boring it out, there was a guy selling a set on here a while ago and when you added everything up, the cost of going 3.0 compared to the power you get wasn't that great. Obviously turbo/charger applications are different but that's n/a

Red 16v gone
    Red VR32.. WIP

Enthusiast
    Morning all,

Sorry for the delay - work don't seem to appreciate I have an engine and car build going on!

The reason for the forged pistons is whilst I was doing an auto to manual conversion I decided to give the engine a once over... when I say once over it's turned into a full rebuild.

The block went off for a hone, rings, full balance etc. but on inspection there was a little wear on a couple of the bores so the decision was made to use 82.5mm Mahle items as I knew there were little gains in huge costing overbores...

The mahle items were then discovered to be on back order at the manufactures... 6 weeks... bear in mind this was the end of July.. or they could source Wiseco's in three days and only a few quid extra... ok cool.

Then the Wisco's were only available in 83mm... ok cool bore it to that.

All good.... no

The Wiseco's turned up as 9.0:1 - we're at the second week in October by now... ok order up the 10.0:1's - cool... errr no they turned up again as 9.0:1's

So now I'm a little bit miffed as they seem to be struggling to find pistons... and if I'd know we were going 83mm in the first place I'd of gone the whole hog and had 83.5's and had a 3.0l block.

So I'm trying to find something the machine shop can source that are suitable... I was just wondering if there was any that were a complete "no-no" in the VR lump really.

Yeah Kev is a wealth of information, I've been annoying him on PM's for ages now! LOL!

I've also read that forged pistons can slap and clatter - I was trying to keep the car reasonably OE+ so was a little worried on that front, but relived to know others are running them with no issues.
    Last edited by Geeba; 6 Days Ago at 9:38 AM.

Enthusiast
    Sorted!

10.5:1 Wiseco.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeba View Post
    Sorted!

10.5:1 Wiseco.
    Need to get an update done on my build thread.. done loads..