Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My Corrado 1.8 20v turbo build

A bit of an update from the weekend, Tried to start the car today after finaly finishing up the wiring. The fuel pump wirred into life, the throttle body buzzed away and the engine cranked over but would'nt fire. We spent an hour or so problem solving and checking over a few things and then realised that the crankshaft sensor wasn't plugged in. Doh! Tried the car again and it sprung straight into life. to say that I'm happy is an understatement.

So I then went and refitted the fusebox and put the dash back together.
    corrado86.jpg

Posty came and left me this Temp sender.
    corrado84.jpg

Fitted
    corrado85.jpg

Got this intercooler donated to me from my son's old Polo GTI, it's a bit big but I reckon it will work ok. I do like freebies

corrado78.jpg

corrado79.jpg

I found an 80mm Maf that I had from my old Focus ST, so I took the Ford sensor out of it and tried the VW one in it. I now have a choice of 70mm or 80mm maf.

corrado87.jpg

I made a boss for my MAP sensor and got mt mate to weld it into my intercooler.
    corrado92.jpg

I then gave the intercooler a coat of high temp black paint, it's the only black spray I had to hand at the time

corrado88.jpg

corrado89.jpg

As things were going so well I thought I'd get the front panel back on, which then led me to fitting the headlights and grille.

corrado93.jpg

corrado94.jpg

I think I might need a new grille badge now?

corrado95.jpg

It's all coming together now, won't be long before it's back on the road.

I was going to fit my rear brake hoses today, but as I got under the rear of the car I noticed that the rear beam bushes looked a little tired

corrado97.jpg

Now that I had seen this I just had to get the beam off and get those bushes out, not a job I had planned on.
    I used Ed China's trick of suing a bolt through a socket to pull the middle out of the bush, then using a 35mm hole saw I drilled the remaining rubber out.
    corrado98.jpg

corrado102.jpg

Then it was just a simple case of using the hacksaw to cut through the outer steel shell and knocking it out with a hammer and chisel.

Whilst I was removing the beam I disconected the ABS sensor cable from inside the car and pushed it and the gromet though the boot floor, unforunately I also removed a little bit of rot at the same time

corrado111.jpg

So I cut a plate and repaired the hole, I'll dill it out for the gromet later and paint it all back up.

corrado112.jpg

I removed all of the brake lines from the beam whilst I had it out on the floor, they were pretty much shot.

corrado101.jpg

I also noticed that the little plastic wheel that goes inside the spring for the proportioning valve was broken.

corrado106.jpg

corrado107.jpg

So I couldn't really leave that, time to fire up the lathe.

corrado108.jpg

So new Floflex bushes on order, less than half the price of the Powerflex ones. and that's about all I can do for now with the beam. I'll give it a clean up and paint before refitting.

The exhaust flange turned up in the post today so I could get on with making the decat pipe.

corrado109.jpg

All done, I made an extended 02 boss, sorry I didn't get pics of making that.

corrado110.jpg

Enthusiast
    You're making good progress. I wish I had more space for large tools and to get into some welding

I have stripped every thing off the rear beam ready to clean it up and repaint
    The brakes look like they've had it and the back plates are pretty much non existant.

corrado115.jpg

corrado117.jpg

corrado118.jpg

corrado116.jpg

I went on a little shopping trip to Toolstation and bought these

corrado113.jpg

They should rip through the rust in no time, probably the most lethal tool ever inveted by man

All of the loose flakey rust removed from the beam and ready to paint

corrado119.jpg

Rear beam has had 2 coats of red oxide primer and now ready for some gloss black enamel.

corrado120.jpg

I decided to strip the calipers and see how bad they actually were, to my suprise they weren't seized so I tackled them with my wire wheel on the grinder to remove the worst of the rust and gave them a lick of silver paint before reassembling them.

corrado121.jpg

corrado122.jpg

corrado123.jpg

That's all for this week due to being on 12hr days all week. I have bought a roll of copper brake pipe, so I will be remaking all of the brake lines next weekend then I'll move on to making up the intercooler pipe work. This is all going to be done in 2.5" stainless with as little silicone hose conections as possible.