Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ABS Pump 1H2 614 217 A (VR6)

PCB is in the rectangular plastic housing that sits underneath the pump unit. Right in the way of lots of heat, dirt and water! The connector goes into the front of it. Two long Allen head screws hold the cover on, but they can seize and are easy to round off.

I don't think the ECUs go faulty that often unless they get water damaged. It's all solid state and simple stuff.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

Itís the multipin socket thatís attached to the electrical bit.

Regular
    Cheers, Iím not sure if thatís easy to repair I.e does it screw in and could I use existing connection to replace the broken one? If so I would be interested in buying

The guy that sent me the damaged one had a spare, which he also sent. This one looks fine and undamaged.
    Now I know my car is an electrical fault I can sell you this one if you like.

Regular
    Ahhh yes I see. Iíll msg you

Enthusiast
    try these guys. I had a second hand ABS pump fitted a few years ago and it just developed the same fault as the one that came off it. I think you'd be better to buy a remanufactured unit that comes with a guarantee, it maybe cheaper than you think.

http://www.bba-reman.com/gb/content/about_bba_reman/

Regular
    Thanks, I have had a couple of quotes from bba. £350 for a refurb unit or £189 to repair mine, plus vat and carriage.

I know what you mean though, but more cash but at least you know it will work and by the time you’ve sourced and fitted a second second hand pump cause the first was bad it’s probably the same!
    1995 White VR6 CCGB Member 4303

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    From what others have said BBA Reman can only repair the PCB or swap the cylindrical motor for a used one, all other parts are obsolete.

I paid £30 for a MK3 Golf Pump and it works fine even though it has a different part number, it’s off an early car with rectangular side repeater indicators, the ecu is under the back seat.
    Last edited by Dox; 13th March 2018 at 9:36 AM.

Enthusiast
    I guess it all depends on the fault but I have a suspicion that they fail, generally for the same reason. The housing degenerates and then moisture gets in which fries the PCB. This was the problem on "Wheel Dealers" when they had an ABS fault. From personal experience, I would be more inclined to pay more for a refurb unit with a guarantee than take my chances on a second hand pump which will probably develop the same fault in a shorter space of time.

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    Quote Originally Posted by akacheesy View Post
    I guess it all depends on the fault but I have a suspicion that they fail, generally for the same reason. The housing degenerates and then moisture gets in which fries the PCB. This was the problem on "Wheel Dealers" when they had an ABS fault. From personal experience, I would be more inclined to pay more for a refurb unit with a guarantee than take my chances on a second hand pump which will probably develop the same fault in a shorter space of time.
    I've got that issue on the hard-drive - I've just watched it, they replaced the cylindrical motor for a used one, they replaced the PCB for a used one. They blew it out with an airline and blasted the corrosion from the outer casing and tested it before and after. Hardly a recon, more Franken-pump?

Don't get me wrong I applaud them for doing their best to repair our obsolete spares and keep our cars legal, but suggest its more of a repair than a recon?