Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Volvo V70 d5 or Audi A4 Avant...any opinions

Enthusiast
    I've no experience of the 2.0TDi but did own a 55 plate Audi A6 3.0TDi Quattro an experience I would not repeat in a hurry.

Like you have mentioned I had the injector issue around the 90K mile mark. 5 of the 6 were outside the factory spec. Seem to recall that was a £2K+ bill.

Manifolds flaps failed, MAF failed, rear wash wipe burst and sprayed water on the DVD / Amp pack.

The final straw came when 3rd gear wore out it's syncro. When that car left my drive I was glad to see the back of it.
    Last edited by marks2; 1 Week Ago at 6:28 PM.

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    Thanks for the input everyone I do appreciate it. I’m going to look at a Volvo V70 d5 r-design on Friday, kinda like the fact there is not many of them around and D5 seems to have a v good reputation for longevity which is one of my prerequisites for this car...

1995 Storm (Green)

Administrator
    The old man has a 2004 (I think) Volvo V70 D5.. he seems fairly happy with it, but I have to say despite Volvo's reputation and despite this one being a low number of owners and reasonably low mileage car, every time I drive it I leave feeling rather unimpressed.

I like that the torque is excellent even from basically idle revs.. it just pulls away so keenly and goes like stink if you decide to get on the power. But there's various issues like the indicators not working correctly, warnings about auxiliary power outlet port in use (when it's not), and it just generally feels rattly and cheap inside. My tired old 5 Series touring feels leagues ahead of it inside in terms of quality and how solid it feels.

I've always liked the thought of a T5 or similar but having driven the V70 a few times now I've definitely cooled off on them somewhat.

2001 BMW E39 530d SE Touring (Black) | 1999 BMW E39 523i SE (with Sport Pack) Saloon (Black) | Ex-Corrado Owner

My sister had a T5 about 10 years ago and clocked up 280k miles driving down to Southern France and back - faultless.

For a car that big and heavy, it shifted surprisingly quick :-)
    Addicted to all things Corrado.

92 (K) VR6 - Flash Red - Work In Progress...

I've currently got an old A4 Avant 1.9 Diesel, needed an old estate, my choice was either the V70 or this, had a budget, ended up with a 140k 1.9 D SE, build quality is fantastic, been faultless......1.9's are bulletproof
    1995 VR6 "Norfolk Black" 220bhp
    1995 VR6 "Mystic blue" Storm edition

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆

Volvo V70 d5 or Audi A4 Avant...any opinions

I made a decision, nice car, feels bomb proof and drives lovely to be fair

Pick up next week

Never thought I’d be a Volvo driver in my 30’s

Will certainly put a smile on my face, just waiting to get the call that the Corrado is put back together, MOT’d and ready to go now.

1995 Storm (Green)

Administrator
    That does look pretty cool to be fair

2001 BMW E39 530d SE Touring (Black) | 1999 BMW E39 523i SE (with Sport Pack) Saloon (Black) | Ex-Corrado Owner