Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High beam tell tale won’t work

High beam tell tale won’t work

Hi folks mot time again giving the old girl a check over noticed the high beam tell tale on dash won’t work. All lights work as they should and the tell tale come on if I hold the stalk in but goes out as soon as I slip it I thought must be the switch so changed it no joy checked all fuses. Only other thing I have noticed is when I switch the head lights on with ignition off switch illuminates with ignition on switch illumination goes off but head lights remain on and working fine anyone had a similar problem and help would be much appreciated thanks

Hmm. Not sure what feeds the little blue bulb, but it's probably the switch in the stalk - afaik this sends current to a relay to turn on the high beams. I'd say take the steering wheel off and remove both stalks and give all the contacts a good clean as well as the switch part of the stalk, also check the multi-plugs connecting them back to the main loom behind the fusebox.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

Exactly what I have done hmmm

Strange. It's weird that it lights when you pull the stalk back to flash the lights. I had one that was very dim and then stopped working altogether so I replaced the bulb. I'd be tempted to check and maybe swap out the control relay with a known working one.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

Yea I think it’s my next move quite annoying when all lights work why won’t tell tale

Which relay is it none of them in my book actually say headlights. Thanks very much for your help

High beam tell tale won’t work

There are no relays as standard - just 4 fuses, one for each high and low beam. That's why a lot of people fit a relayed wiring loom as a modification to improve the light output. Current has to travel through two switches and several looms before it reaches the headlight bulbs in the factory design.

From what I can tell (although I always have a hard time reading VW wiring diagrams), low beams are fed directly from the headlamp switch - high beam is controlled by the flasher/high beam switch in the stalk, and the high beam indicator light is fed from that switch with 12v (looks like a white/black wire) into the 28 pin multi-plug at the back of the instrument cluster - it goes into terminal 25 there. After that its a printed circuit board. The Bentley manual suggest checking for 12v on that wire with ignition on/headlights on/high beam on, if you don't have any trace the wiring for continuity and then replace the switch stalk, then check the condition of the circuit board on the clocks.

Hope this might help a bit.
    Last edited by fendervg; 10th June 2018 at 8:09 PM.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

I had it in bits yesterday turned out to be the bulb why it was working when held in and wouldn’t stay on I don’t no but al good now thanks for your help

Ah, good to know it's fixed. All the other warning lamps in the bottom row are LEDs, but the high beam one is just a normal filament bulb with a blue cap - probably because blue LEDs were a bit of a holy grail back in the late 80s!

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

Yea and probably the only one that gives bother. Thanks for the assistance