Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Corrado Owner Deciding What to Do

New Corrado Owner Deciding What to Do

Hey All,

I am finally the owner of a 1993 Dark Grey Corrado VR6 with only 79k from New.

I am just deciding what to do, the car is coming from Jersey as we speak.

Currently has a cloth interior but looking to change this.

I worked for Volkswagen back in 1997-1999 and always loved the VR6 engine and hankered after one ever since.

It will be a 4th car and will be joining my Esprit and my Deon Mirabeau.

Do I keep the car standard or go with a supercharger?

Car is getting delivered to Stealth Racing for a health check before I even get to see it!

Ross

Hard to say not knowing what you plan to do with it. If you are daily driving it, I'd just get it running well and leave it alone. Modifying Corrados can be tricky because they were good cars from the factory, so they are hard to improve upon. Many owners end up making them perform worse with modifications. A KN filter and aftermarket intake often reduces power due to sucking hot engine air, an aftermarket exhaust will also likely reduce power, especially low in the range, etc. Its difficult to get more power out of the engine with bolt ons, so many end up with turbos/chargers, which come with their set of issues. But if you can be more specific on how you plan to use the car it would be easier to make recommendations.

Hi
    Thanks for the reply, car will not be a daily but will occasionally be used going to work on nice days.

Anything I do I would want to be reversible. If the exhaust needs replaced would probably replace with a stainless one.

But would prefer an oem+ look, not fussed for polished bits and looking for a VSR or Schrick manifold but will all be painted black under the bonnet.

Ross

Enthusiast
    Hi Jared
    I'm also an OEM+ man... I've kept the 12v engine and have added a few nice bits which I'm hoping will just liven it up a little.

I've completely rebuilt the engine, re-bored/new pistons, fully balanced, ported cylinder head with matched inlet and exhaust manifold, Shimmel 263 cams and a Schrick manifold. all built with genuine or as close as you can still get parts.

Unfortunately the project has stalled due to an unscheduled house move
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Geeba View Post
    Hi Jared
    I'm also an OEM+ man... I've kept the 12v engine and have added a few nice bits which I'm hoping will just liven it up a little.

I've completely rebuilt the engine, re-bored/new pistons, fully balanced, ported cylinder head with matched inlet and exhaust manifold, Shimmel 263 cams and a Schrick manifold. all built with genuine or as close as you can still get parts.

That looks rather nice giles
    Corrado VR6 - Aqua Blue LC5U - 96 'N' Plate
    Black Leather - Heated Seats - Air Con
    Totally Standard and intend to keep it that way !

Hibernation for Winter ! SORN

Quote Originally Posted by Geeba View Post
    Hi Jared

That look really nice and along the same lines I want to go

Personally I’d stay Oem with a nice low mileage car . I’ve had a few engine mods done . I also removed the side strips and had the rear join lines filled to make a clean line on the body ,but that’s it really .

92 VR6 . DBP. She will never be a show car ..... But will be up there with the best of em .

The bmw seems invincible in isolation . But along side the corrado - a modern classic , we think- it has its work cut out . Autocar 1992.

Standard.... with only modification of those very common recaro interior
    Corrado VR6 - Aqua Blue LC5U - 96 'N' Plate
    Black Leather - Heated Seats - Air Con
    Totally Standard and intend to keep it that way !

Hibernation for Winter ! SORN

Only mods I ever do are a BMC Carbon induction kit (easily reversible) and a cupholder in place of the rear ashtray. The cup-holder along with air-con are pretty much the only items I wish the factory had included (along with the shrick)

Other popular items which are subtle modifications but add greatly to useability are Bigger brakes, Lupo wipers and an uprated headlight loom.
    94 2.0 16v Manual Classic Green/Black Cloth M447 BLE, 95 VR6 Manual Aqua Blue/Black Cloth N585 BUA, 95 Storm Manual Mystic Blue/Black Lthr M200 DAN, 94 VR6 Manual Classic Green/Beige Lthr M159 LYF, 96 VR6 Automatic Moonlight Blue/Black Lthr N866 XSS, 94 VR6 Manual Classic Green/Grey Lthr M803 XMB, 95 Storm Manual Classic Green/Beige Lthr M964 XSX, 94 VR6 Manual Aqua Blue/Beige Lthr M420 BOY, 95 VR6 Manual Blackberry/Black Lthr N320 MRN.

Kev Bacon wrote a thread a long time ago, best mods for small money, or something along those lines, which listed Dave16v short shift (reduces the excessive front to back throw) and centre console fixing bracket (another usual Corrado creaky part!) is Dave still making these even? Lupo / Mk1TT wipers, 288 front brakes (the biggest brakes you’ll get under standard wheels), Mk4 rear callipers and OBD2 engine management. I think he also suggested re-bushing the front arms with Powerflex front bushes and OEM R32 rear bushes. There may have been others but I’m not quite sure!

I’ve done all the above, I’m also running climatronic from a Passat VR6 although I’ve modified that recently with a Mk4 Golf condenser which hasn’t yet been recharged so the jury remains out on current status. Plus of course the leather recaro interior you’re hankering after, remember they don’t generally have a/c fitted and in the current weather the interiors can be pretty sticky with leather! Plus an assortment of other renewed items too numerous to list!

I’d be making sure it’s all structurally sound, even a low mileage car is getting old now, make sure everything underneath is rot free. Consider condition of all bushes, the rear beam ones can be a pig to do so are often the original ones still in there! Brake and fuel lines, again, they could be pretty old now. Brake bias valve functionality.

After that, modify cautiously, they’re a car that doesn’t need much modification to stand out as they’ve always been pretty special. We’ve had two of them, continuous ownership for 23 years! And I can honestly say that they’ve been really reliable cars, none of all the regular failings, the sunroof has always worked along with the rear spoiler, door handles, handbrake etc, yet a mate at work had all the standard faults within a few weeks of each other.
    Last edited by tonedef; 2 Days Ago at 4:05 AM.
    95 Classic Green VR6: Climatronic & OBD2, Grey Leather Recaro Interior
    CCGB No. 58