Thread: Road Tax Exemption

Road Tax Exemption

Or to be totally PC about it...... Vehicle Excise Duty... but it's still a bleeping tax......

Anyway - i digress. My Corrado was first registered in 1994, which means next year, he'll be 25 years old.
    Am i right in thinking that once a vehicle hits this landmark they are exempt from road tax? I'm sure I read
    somewhere that 25 years was the 'cut-off'' for this....

Cheers
    Almost an off the shelf Moonlight Blue Pearl Metallic VR6.
    Got Lupo wipers, an upgraded headlight loom and
    Inpro Clear/Red rear clusters.

Administrator
    Alas not.. I think it's either 35 or even 40 years for the rolling exemption. You gotta pay a bit more road tax yet on your Corrado before it becomes tax exempt

*edit*

Yep - 40 years.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...assic-vehicles

2001 BMW E39 530d SE Touring (Black) | 1999 BMW E39 523i SE (with Sport Pack) Saloon (Black) | Ex-Corrado Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Alas not.. I think it's either 35 or even 40 years for the rolling exemption. You gotta pay a bit more road tax yet on your Corrado before it becomes tax exempt

*edit*

Yep - 40 years.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...assic-vehicles
    Never thought to Google it Jim - worra narna!! Thanks for the quick response though. Knew the buggers would get more dosh
    out of me one way or another!!

Cheers!!

It was 25 years, then Gordon Brown fixed it to vehicles registered before 1973. As Jim says the rules have recently changed to a rolling 40-year exemption. Only another 17 years to go for me!
    1996 Corrado VR6 Midnight Blue
    2007 Lotus Elise 111r Super Touring
    1996 Land Rover Defender County
    2015 MINI JCW
    2016 Range Rover Sport

I always think the road tax is one of the cheapest bills in corrado ownership Makes me feel better
    Just like a golf................But better!!!

Way before the Corrado qualifies for zero road tax I would have thought we will be paying a humungous new polluters tax to keep our ice engines on the road! We are seeing it already with plans for daily payments coming in for bringing older cars into city/town centres. As people appear to be generally slow adopters of the electric tech govt will legislate to price our lovely petrol powered machines off the road. I certainly don't anticipate ever owning a tax neutral Corrado!
    94 2.0 16v Manual Classic Green/Black Cloth M447 BLE, 95 VR6 Manual Aqua Blue/Black Cloth N585 BUA, 95 Storm Manual Mystic Blue/Black Lthr M200 DAN, 94 VR6 Manual Classic Green/Beige Lthr M159 LYF, 96 VR6 Automatic Moonlight Blue/Black Lthr N866 XSS, 94 VR6 Manual Classic Green/Grey Lthr M803 XMB, 95 Storm Manual Classic Green/Beige Lthr M964 XSX, 94 VR6 Manual Aqua Blue/Beige Lthr M420 BOY, 95 VR6 Manual Blackberry/Black Lthr N320 MRN.

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    Not many commute daily in cars 40+ years old? There is a huge industry supplying parts, rebuilding them and keeping them on the road - all generating revenue / VAT, so removing excise duty and MOT (less than £2 goes to the government elected body - the majority goes to the testing station / garage) wont significantly reduce the governments funds too much?

Being MOT exempt at 40 years old also means they can tighten standards to the point an old drum braked cars couldn't obtain even when they were in production.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    It was 25 years, then Gordon Brown fixed it to vehicles registered before 1973. As Jim says the rules have recently changed to a rolling 40-year exemption. Only another 17 years to go for me!
    I always thought Brown was a bit of a bleep!!

To put it into perspective. For a 26 year old Corrado, you still have potentially £3360 worth of road tax to pay before it becomes exempt. Also if you use £20 of fuel a week in it that's another £13,440 between now and July 2032. Not to mention the £10,000 you'll spend maintaining it lol.
    MY 1991 G60 CURRENTLY IN RESTORATION
    http://the-corrado.net/showthread.ph...-Daily-Project