Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any more 3D printing projects?

Administrator

Any more 3D printing projects?

Hey folks..

Not been on here much lately but do try and keep my toe in the water with the forum / club where possible.

A potentially new / exciting opportunity has opened up where I work to dabble with another 3D modelling / scanning project and my mind immediately turned to more reproduction Corrado things. As many of you know, I undertook a project a few years ago to reproduce the little screw covers for the speedo clocks and have gone on to sell many of those, but that project was pretty drawn out as it involved engaging a design company to do the 3D scanning work and then finding another company to 3D print the pieces.

This opportunity might allow me to do the 3D scanning / modelling work a bit more in house which would open up possibilities for doing some other projects going forward.

My question I guess is, are there any plastic trim pieces which are currently unavailable which folks would really like to see, which would be fairly simple / basic to clone? I don't want to get too ambitious but maybe if we get something out of this it might open the door for further / more complicated projects. Even metal pieces might be feasible so.. obsolete / unusual shaped nuts and bolts, etc etc.

So folks.. any suggestions?

I want to suffix that lot by saying I'm not looking to do this as a money making venture; much like the trim clips, it's intended to be a cost neutral exercise as a favour to other owners, not a project to line my pockets.

Thanks.

2001 BMW E39 530d SE Touring (Black) | 1999 BMW E39 523i SE (with Sport Pack) Saloon (Black) | Ex-Corrado Owner

Administrator
    I've already got a small project in mind for BMW E39 owners. There's a little plastic spring clip which is used to secure the air lines onto the rear air-springs as fitted to the touring / estate models. On 20+ year old cars, it's brittle and snaps easily if you need to replace the air spring and of course BMW do not sell them individually.. you have to buy them along with the rest of the air reservoir which costs a small fortune.

But really keen to hear if there's any other Corrado projects which would be suitable

2001 BMW E39 530d SE Touring (Black) | 1999 BMW E39 523i SE (with Sport Pack) Saloon (Black) | Ex-Corrado Owner

there is so many parts now - for a start scuttle (water deflector) trim retaining clips ? hows about a new car !!!

Administrator
    Metal pieces would be feasible given that 3D printing companies like Shapeways will print in metal now, though they may be pricey.. If anyone has some spare clips they'd be willing to send me (I'd return them) I'd be happy to investigate them.

The bonnet release trumpet thing is difficult to get these days and the passenger side one(no screw) seems impossible to get. I guess if you had one with a screw you could map it and map it without the screw to do the passenger side? I have one of these and no doubt I may have various other bits I’d be happy to loan you for the process
    95 Classic Green Storm
    95 Flash Red VR6

For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
    For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible

Quote Originally Posted by easypops View Post
    The bonnet release trumpet thing is difficult to get these days and the passenger side one(no screw) seems impossible to get. I guess if you had one with a screw you could map it and map it without the screw to do the passenger side? I have one of these and no doubt I may have various other bits I’d be happy to loan you for the process

Haha, understatement of the year there Martin!
    95 Classic Green VR6 - Jetex Cat Back|BMC CDA|VT mounts|Bilstein B12s|288mm front brakes|Mk4 Rears|Braided hoses|Daves16v shortshifter|Lupo wipers|Uprated headlight loom|
    http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=79984
    CCGB #3982

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆
    Fuse box cover clips?

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    Definitely the scuttle trim cover clips. Still need doing.
    Please

Administrator
    These are all great ideas folks - thanks! Martin - if you're happy to loan me a few choice pieces I'd be more than happy to investigate the feasibility of getting them scanned / mapped. I'd of course send them back to you as soon as I was done with them?

I was fairly sure I still had some fuse box cover trim clips but be damned if I can find them.

I have the fuse box clips as well
    95 Classic Green Storm
    95 Flash Red VR6

For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
    For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible