Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Any more 3D printing projects?

Sprinter, lets not get into an argument about this. We know you are a salesman and 3D printing items is essential competition, agree the quality is not amazing on the cheaper printers, I know because I own one but higher spec printers create higher quality items. Small clips & items not on show are a great idea to 3D print, agree the likes of number plate panels and larger items aren't such a good idea due to costs of printing but bear in mind the koenigsegg body panels & turbo are 3D printed.

Also just to add, you've posted links from german ebay, left hand drive items

Red 16v gone
    Red VR32.. WIP

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprinter53 View Post
    Number plate panels and Dash inserts (air vents / radio etc housing) are already done.
    By number plate panels do you mean the rear panel between the lights? If so where are these available from?

Quote Originally Posted by swiftkid View Post
    Sprinter, lets not get into an argument about this. We know you are a salesman and 3D printing items is essential competition, agree the quality is not amazing on the cheaper printers, I know because I own one but higher spec printers create higher quality items. Small clips & items not on show are a great idea to 3D print, agree the likes of number plate panels and larger items aren't such a good idea due to costs of printing but bear in mind the koenigsegg body panels & turbo are 3D printed.

Also just to add, you've posted links from german ebay, left hand drive items

I speak to you as Corrado driver who wants to have the best spare parts for his Corrados.
    Unfortunately, the possibilities of 3D printing are limited. Especially in terms of surface and size of the parts.
    Maybe 3D printing is suitable for small and invisible parts, but nothing more.

The possibilities of 3D printing are limited. Especially in terms of surface and size of the parts.
    You are clearly speaking as someone invested in a standard manufacturing processes or someone who hasn't done any research into commercial 3d printing. I assure you both the quality or size of 3d printers is only as limited in the same way you would be with any injection molding machine. Surfaces can be completely smooth from the printer and the size of the machine can be whatever you need to be developed. 3D printers are already used in a huge number of industries from healthcare to spacecraft. You shouldn't base your view of 3d printing on £200 desktop hobby printers.

These images are of 3D scanned sculpture which was then shrank down, printed and silver plated.
    c0bfa1a3-3dba-4944-9b24-8388f0e84be6.jpgb16cc989-6b82-4f44-ba6e-730058f93ad7.jpg
    As you can see there are no build lines in these prints, with the mirror of the silver these would be even more apparent.

I speak to you as Corrado driver who wants to have the best spare parts for his Corrados.
    Unfortunately, the possibilities of 3D printing are limited. Especially in terms of surface and size of the parts.
    Think your barking up the wrong tree. Back in the early 90's when I did an engineering degree in design and manufacture I did some development in rapid prototyping as it was called then. And it did have limitations then. And was really only good for prototyping models and the accuracy wasn't that good. The modern machines and materials are as good as any other process in small batches..
    Corrado VR6 - Aqua Blue LC5U - 96 'N' Plate
    Black Leather - Heated Seats - Air Con
    Totally Standard and intend to keep it that way !

Hibernation for Winter ! SORN

So far I have not seen absolutely smooth surfaces in 3D printing.
    Maybe the printers are better now.

It's just the question if it pays to buy a 5000 ¬ printer to make small parts worth 1 €?

For years, everyone has been talking about 3D printing, so why does not anyone produce parts for the Corrado?

So far I have not seen absolutely smooth surfaces in 3D printing.
    Maybe the printers are better now.

It's just the question if it pays to buy a 5000 ¬ printer to make small parts worth 1 €?

For years, everyone has been talking about 3D printing, so why does not anyone produce parts for the Corrado?
    But that £5000 printer is still cheaper than the machine and the dies to create the component with traditional plastic production techniques

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hall View Post
    But that £5000 printer is still cheaper than the machine and the dies to create the component with traditional plastic production techniques
    Of course, the equipment costs much more than a good 3D printer.
    But why buy the equipment? I also do not buy a whole cow if I only want one steak

It's just the question if it pays to buy a 5000 ¬ printer to make small parts worth 1 €
    Of course, the equipment costs much more than a good 3D printer.
    But why buy the equipment? I also do not buy a whole cow if I only want one steak
    But that's the thing, you don't need to buy a printer to have something printed. I could send a piece to someone with a high quality printer and have it printed as a one off. I couldn't send a model to an injection molder and have one made up without having to pay for the custom die and likely a run of several thousand.