Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any more 3D printing projects?

Strangely work have just bought me Google sketchup and are going to buy a 3d printer as well. So I've been having the same thoughts this week.

Scuttle clips instantly came to mind. I have some if required. Not sure on the capabilities of 3d printers but they are quite a complex clip imo.

Not sure when I'll get the printer but could always try and produce a 3d drawing of one. Happy to send you a clip if you fancy a go as well.

Been thinking about your corrado woes recently Jim, That tappy noise. I think I've finally decided its valve springs to blame.
    Just like a golf................But better!!!

Is there a limit as to how big things can be? If not:

Wings
    Number plate panels
    Front spoilers
    Dash inserts (air vents / radio etc housing)

94 Satin Silver VR6, 18 Tungsten Silver Golf GTI
    Previously: 95 Aqua Blue 16v, 95 Classic Green Storm, 96 Moonlight Blue 8v
    And a number of breakers..

CCGB 2647

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    Hi, I'm new to the forum, so not sure what's been discussed before, but I believe the sunroof guides that are a common failure are no longer a a available, and would be a good option for 3D printing in metal.

Administrator
    In my case I'm thinking smaller pieces rather than large stuff, Goldie.. large scale stuff may be possible but I'd rather start with smaller things if possible and feel out what options there are.

Bits for the sunroof are a good shout... I know there's a few pieces which commonly fail.. does anyone have broken bits left over from sunroof repairs?

2001 BMW E39 530d SE Touring (Black) | 1999 BMW E39 523i SE (with Sport Pack) Saloon (Black) | Ex-Corrado Owner

I have a 3D printer myself and I've designed and printed the direction heater cog (the one that always breaks) but unfortunately the quality of my printer isn't good enough to be able to produce them for people to use, I did reinforce the channel a little but it's still in prototype phase but I ran out of filament. I'm happy to send the .ipt/.stl file across if you wanted a go? Another one I've designed and printed is a 'VR32' badge but renewarts stuff really is a hundred times better than my attempts.

Goldie, I think for small businesses just wanting rapid prototyping the max size is about 300mm x 300mm x 300mm but a block that big would take about 2 weeks constant printing and absolutely bucket loads of filament, which isn't cheap.

Red 16v gone
    Red VR32.. WIP

Administrator
    Have you thought about sending it to print with Shapeways, swiftkid? They have a variety of materials they can print in and their service is excellent.

2001 BMW E39 530d SE Touring (Black) | 1999 BMW E39 523i SE (with Sport Pack) Saloon (Black) | Ex-Corrado Owner

I haven't, I started the project with the intention of uploading the design for others to print as I'm going mk4 climate control but useful to know for other projects

Red 16v gone
    Red VR32.. WIP

If anything needs scanning i have access to industrial grade scanning equipment and not limited to size so would be willing to help out.
    1992 Flash Red VR6 vroom vroom.

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    How about the rear number plate light. As I've just broken mine trying to clean it I now need a replacement !!

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    How about the plastic inserts on the wings. The ones that are used to protect the wings from the screws holding the wheel arch liner.