Thread: 2.9 engine

2.9 engine

Anyone have a spare 2.9 engine that’s not been ruined cooked or flooded

Can anyone help

Enthusiast
    Chances are the engine you buy will be in need of an overhaul, hone, rings, bearings at a minimum... personally I would do that to my own engine.

It surely cant be so far gone that its scrap?

The block can be bored if the wear/rust is so far gone its past honing... cylinder heads can be devconed, skimmed and new valves - "the man in the shed" is very close to Stealth actually and he did my cylinder head as above (which had stood outside for 4 years) and ported and polished it at the same time.

74628A4B-DD46-4D03-825E-D167DD8B5C4F.jpg5FC35B9F-2EF6-495A-AEF6-734CD34B8A1B.jpg

Cylinder head goosed and not usable block could be bored but will be a very expensive job

Quote Originally Posted by Geeba View Post
    Chances are the engine you buy will be in need of an overhaul, hone, rings, bearings at a minimum... personally I would do that to my own engine.

It surely cant be so far gone that its scrap?

The block can be bored if the wear/rust is so far gone its past honing... cylinder heads can be devconed, skimmed and new valves - "the man in the shed" is very close to Stealth actually and he did my cylinder head as above (which had stood outside for 4 years) and ported and polished it at the same time.

Enthusiast
    Unless that has broken into the water jacket that could be devcon'd - its only got to hold the head gasket flat - and the MLS gasket covers it - most VR6 heads will have some degree of corrosion at that exact point. mine was pitted, not to that degree but was devcon'd and skimmed, in some cases they can be welded.

Does the block have a wear mark? rust and dirt don't matter as it will be hot tanked.

Also not far from "the man in the shed" is "Knight Engines" they actually work together, I took my block down and Dave examined it offered to hone it and put oversized rings in, but advised larger pistons which I went for.

Are you keeping the car?

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆
    I've got a genuine 19.000km ABV bottom end mate, Send me your email and i could send you a few photos.
    cheers-Andrew

The engine running in mine at the moment will be coming out around xmas time and I'll be wanting rid of it. Not sure how long you got.

Runs fine but uses a bit of oil and the head is tappy. I reckon the head will need a rebuild. Was told its a 2.9 when i bought it and have a receipt from stealth that says it was a corrado engine.

I could take the head off and measure the cylinder bores and see the general condition of it.
    Just like a golf................But better!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bowen View Post
    The engine running in mine at the moment will be coming out around xmas time and I'll be wanting rid of it. Not sure how long you got.

Runs fine but uses a bit of oil and the head is tappy. I reckon the head will need a rebuild. Was told its a 2.9 when i bought it and have a receipt from stealth that says it was a corrado engine.

I could take the head off and measure the cylinder bores and see the general condition of it.
    Hoping to get this done before then but could still be interested as considering a VR6 in a Beetle Dark Flint

Anyone got a full engine or even just the correct 2.9 cylinder head
    Ross