Thread: Reverse light switch mechanism missing

Reverse light switch mechanism missing

I have fairly recently purchased my Corrado and the reverse lights never worked. I did some digging and found that that switch works perfectly when pressed and the reverse lights lit up. However there is nothing on the linkage that would press on the switch to activate the lights. Could anyone take a photo of the mechanism that presses on the switch so I can buy or try to fabricate something. Thanks.
    gear linkage.jpg
    Last edited by foster9099; 12th September 2018 at 10:13 AM. Reason: add image

Gear selector tower housing
    02A 301 231C

02A 311 648C
    sleeve bearing = which fits into top half of housing.

Hello there,

according to the Bentley manual the selector shaft goes up through the selector housing, and passes through a stabiliser sleeve bearing, then at the top of selector shaft you have a retaining nut, there should be a socket sleeve with a pointer or small arm, which by the looks of it connects with the reverse switch, when the selector shaft lifts up once reverse gear is selected.

I can't find the part number so possibly you have to purchase the selector housing or selector tower, but that'll be too expensive I imagine.

I've found a few links which list some items and their part numbers, plus a video off YouTube it's a slightly different selector but might give some insight,
    the only thing is the guy is talking in Russian and there's no subtitles.

Part numbers:
    http://m.autopartmaster.com/en/?acti...corrado%201992

Video:
    https://youtu.be/UlYwBOe1awI

I've tried to upload some photos from the Bentley manual, but for what ever reason I still can't upload any.

Hope this helps

Si
    Had MK2 Scirocco Scarla 1998 to 2002

Now have Corrado 2.0 16v since 2002 still got it

Thanks for the detailed reply. I have looked at the video and it seems like there is something other than a standard washer between the top nut and the linkage, maybe that has an arm that pushes on the switch? its difficult to tell from that diagram but it doesn't appear to show any kind of arm. Im not sure why the sleeve bearing is relevant as I assume they are there to hold the linkage in place as it moves up and down the shaft? I have found another video that shows the mechanism for a newer mk4 golf which looks very similar and I have attached an image of that.Capture.jpg

Yes I think that's it,
    like I say in the Bentley manual it lists it as a socket sleeve which has a small pointer or arm that presses against the reverse switch once reverse gear is selected so to speak.

Si

Right I have progress. I have spoken to a friend at VW who has pointed me in the right direction which may help others, although I guess it is a weird problem to have. Like vw rule said there is a large "sleeve" that sits inside the plastic switch housing that has a pointer sticking out the top. He sent me this diagram and part number.
    3.jpg
    1.jpg

I think this is the workshop manual diagram which seems a lot better.
    passat-b3-1309.png

I found an image of the part here
    4.jpg

From VW its costing me £13 for the new sleeve but is on back order. Hope this helps someone else too.

Nice one you've found the part,
    thanks for sharing

Si