Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High level 3rd brake light

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆

High level 3rd brake light

Hi guys,
    As the title suggests I'm thinking about fitting a high level brake light to my car. I think that with more and more new cars getting bigger and bigger these days, I don't feel that safe anymore in my little low Corrado surrounded by big white jeeps doing the school run.;-) Actually had a couple of close calls recently.

I have several options on the led side as we use a lot of different types at work. I'm thinking about drilling the upper window trim and pushing through about 15 round LEDs through.

I have looked into getting the brake light supply up to the inner top of the tailgate window trim. I have looked at schematic drawings for the Corrado and see that shows that there is a supply for the high level brake light in the right-hand side cluster. On checking this i can see the supply Black/Red wires coming out from the rhs brake light but can't see where it goes. The schematics are not that detailed and don't state exactly where to find the supply. Ideally it should be in the actual tailgate so as to make it easier to run up to where the light is to go. But I cannot see anything in the actual tailgate. Am I missing something? can anyone tell me?

I can't find anything on the net that explains about the actual wiring up. The only thing I can see is something wrote by Kev (who used to be the main man on here). He said...
    You can take a brake electrical feed from the nearside rear light cluster as that's where you would plug in a tow bar loom :wink:

If I get the help on this, I'll go ahead and do the job and also do a 'how to' for anyone else thinking about doing this.

Cheers
    Satin Silver VRG
    ccgb 1667

Quality never goes out of Style!

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    My car is in bits at the back end, so I'll try to remember and look this week end for you

I can’t remember exactly where I picked the feed up for mine, I’ll try take a look over the weekend.
    95 Classic Green VR6: Climatronic & OBD2, Grey Leather Recaro Interior
    CCGB No. 58

The light feed can come from anywhere on the existing brake light feed or the fitting - just test it see which on it is, or use a multimeter to check. Then either crimp in or use a three-way connector. The earth can run back to one of the existing earths (usually brown) and join up there, or even better run it straight to body ground using a ring terminal and screw at a suitable location.

I've done this to two other cars using strip mounted LEDs inside the rear hatch and the wiring worked without a problem.

If you have loads of money you can by a US spec tailgate and it's all there! I have the OEM parts for the 3rd brake light - when the car goes to the body shop we'll take a look at cutting out a small section and fitting the bracket.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    Henny drilled the rear spoiler and fitted individual LEDs in its edge, he made a very neat job of it.

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆

Very cool looking.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    Thanks guys, I can see the Black/Red brake light wires behind the corner lught clusters. But I'd rather take a supply from the actual tailgate. All that I can see in the tailgate is wires for the foglight on the drivers side and the two reverse lights.

Let me know what ye have done over the weekend.. appreciated! ��
    Satin Silver VRG
    ccgb 1667

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    Thanks guys, I can see the Black/Red brake light wires behind the corner lught clusters. But I'd rather take a supply from the actual tailgate. All that I can see in the tailgate is wires for the foglight on the drivers side and the two reverse lights.

Let me know what ye have done over the weekend.. appreciated! ��
    I don’t believe there’s an existing supply in the tailgate unless it’s a US spec car, I used one of the rear wiper wires to feed it as I’ve smoothed the tailgate.
    95 Classic Green VR6: Climatronic & OBD2, Grey Leather Recaro Interior
    CCGB No. 58

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    Ah yes, that's what I was thinking of doing. I have the back wiper removed as well. Where did you connect the wiper wire into the Black/Red brake light supply?
    Satin Silver VRG
    ccgb 1667