Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ceramic coating.

Ceramic coating.

Morning everyone. I will be reading up on this at the weekend. Has anyone on here had this treatment to their car . You thoughts and any input would be appreciated.
    Rob

92 VR6 . DBP. She will never be a show car ..... But will be up there with the best of em .

The bmw seems invincible in isolation . But along side the corrado - a modern classic , we think- it has its work cut out . Autocar 1992.

Not sure if it was you asked the same question on FB Rob?

I had my daily, a Scirocco, ceramic coated about six months ago & I think it works really well. That said once a car has been ceramic coated they have to be maintained properly using the correct type of shampoo & I think this is where a lot of people have problems as with the incorrect type of maintenance wash the ceramic coating can be damaged & not work as it should. I wouldn't have a ceramic coat on my Corrado though as it doesn't get used every day & the paint is not exposed .to the same level of contaminants. I've just popped outside & took a picture as it's raining! Coating done over six months ago & not washed for a month & still beading nicely.

Last edited by Mystic Blue VR; 5th October 2018 at 7:52 AM.
    1996 Corrado Storm Mystic Blue

Yes it was me on the ccgb page . Thought I’d put it up here too. Great info thank you.

92 VR6 . DBP. She will never be a show car ..... But will be up there with the best of em .

The bmw seems invincible in isolation . But along side the corrado - a modern classic , we think- it has its work cut out . Autocar 1992.

The big brands offer top up type spray bottles Rob. I've used GTechniq on my old Golf and it was great - though I sold it about 4 months later.
    I've also used Carpro Cquartz and I don't know if it was an issue with application as it kind of misted up, but I wasn't that impressed with the finish and it didn't seem to last that well either.

Are you planning to do it yourself or get a pro to apply it Rob?
    95 Classic Green VR6 - Jetex Cat Back|BMC CDA|VT mounts|Bilstein B12s|288mm front brakes|Mk4 Rears|Braided hoses|Daves16v shortshifter|Lupo wipers|Uprated headlight loom|
    http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=79984
    CCGB #3982

Hi Sean , nice to hear from you . If I was to get it done , I wouldn’t do it myself, I’d definitely get a professional to do it . Trouble is there are people that say it’s brilliant and those that say it’s a gimmick. Its a lot of dough to lay out .

Quote Originally Posted by robrado974 View Post
    Hi Sean , nice to hear from you . If I was to get it done , I wouldn’t do it myself, I’d definitely get a professional to do it . Trouble is there are people that say it’s brilliant and those that say it’s a gimmick. Its a lot of dough to lay out .
    I'd leave it to the professionals but at the end of the day it's down to personal choice!
    1996 Corrado Storm Mystic Blue

It is a lot but you can get excellent results if applied by a good pro. You can add wax on top as a sacrificial layer as well so it'll last longer, but most of them will last a year or so. With yours living outside I'd be on the fence if I'm honest mate. A good machine and protection by a pro, then regular long lasting waxes by yourself may be better value
    95 Classic Green VR6 - Jetex Cat Back|BMC CDA|VT mounts|Bilstein B12s|288mm front brakes|Mk4 Rears|Braided hoses|Daves16v shortshifter|Lupo wipers|Uprated headlight loom|
    http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=79984
    CCGB #3982

I'm not sure about the ceramic coating thing, not that long term proven I don't think. Like you I've got fresh paint to protect but luckily I've just finished building a garage for the rado's so I can finally protect them from the elements. Just a good wax for me by me I think.
    1995 VR6 "Black Magic Pearl"
    1995 VR6 "Mystic blue" Storm edition
    CCGB 4302

Quote Originally Posted by spen View Post
    I'm not sure about the ceramic coating thing, not that long term proven I don't think. Like you I've got fresh paint to protect but luckily I've just finished building a garage for the rado's so I can finally protect them from the elements. Just a good wax for me by me I think.
    Same. I find a good wax lasts way longer than a year when garaged so no need for the ceramic coating, could be of interest for the daily though!
    Ben Wood
    CCGB #3443
    1993 Black VW Corrado 2.9 VR6

Previous:
    1994 Aqua Blue VW Corrado 2.0i 16v
    1995 Sherry Pearl VW Corrado 2.0 8v

Hello Rob have a read of the info in the attached link below it shows all the good and bad points with Ceramic Coating.
    https://exclusivedetail.com/ceramic-coating-for-cars/

For me personally I'd probably go for the paint protection film as it normally lasts 3 to 4 years, before it needs reapplying again & gives miles better protection against stone chips, scratches and other marks.
    The Ceramic Coating doesn't seem to protect anywhere near as good as the paint protection film from stone chips, I remember seeing some of the cars having the paint protection film on them over 20 years ago when I used to work for Peugeot, mainly when the new 406 and 206 first came out.
    Apparently the Ceramic Coating has fairly good protection against the sun's UV rays, but doesn't stop any paint fading or damage but generally just slows it's affects down.

It really depends what you're looking for Rob as regards to paint protection, but either way I'd definitely get a professional to apply which ever coating you decide.

Si
    Last edited by vw rule; 6th October 2018 at 1:57 PM.
    Had MK2 1.8 Scirocco Scarla 1998 to 2002
    had it lowered on original wheels,
    K&N air fitler and Janspeed exhaust system.

Now have 94 M reg Corrado 2.0 16v since 2002 still got it,
    been off the road now since early 2015
    hoping to get it finished this year.

Also have a 2015 Seat Ibiza TSI i-tech as my daily driver.