Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VR6 cams

VR6 cams

Before anyone flames me, yes I have done a search! But reason for this thread was if anything has changed/opinions lately

So what’s the best cams to use or consider on a stock VR for street use. With full decat exhaust and possibly BMC CDA

I have shortlisted the following from research

- schimmel 263
    - autotech 262
    - Schrick 268

Ideally don’t want to touch the valve springs.

Enthusiast
    Shimmels are apparently the best of the bunch giving gains across the range.. they run fine on stock springs.

Jim Bowen is also looking for a set... could be worth ringing Vince at Stealth and staking an interest, they might speed the order up.

Schimmel 263's are the ones to get. Could be worth seeing what Vince says. Last time i enquired he said he would order some if there was demand, but i've no idea how long that might take, Could imagine it taking into the new year.
    Just like a golf................But better!!!

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    263s for standard engines and 268s for engines with Schrick VGis or pierberg VSRs according to Stealth via Kev Bacon from a few years ago.

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdee View Post
    Before anyone flames me, yes I have done a search! - schimmel 263
    I've never seen anyone flamed here for asking questions, we all share what we know to anyone who asks. This forums search is notoriously poor.

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆
    I’d be interested in a set of 263’s or 268’s if I ever get round to fitting my schrick.
    94 Classic Green VR6, 312mm front brakes, jetex exhaust, electric recaros, BMC, Volt/oil gauges, full strip down and powder coat, full windows out respray.

What is the reasoning behind needing 268s with a VGI or VSR? Both are designed to run with standard cams. I always thought that SP263s were the bes all round option for a standard engine - maybe he was referring to forced induction applications?

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by fendervg View Post
    What is the reasoning behind needing 268s with a VGI or VSR? Both are designed to run with standard cams. I always thought that SP263s were the bes all round option for a standard engine - maybe he was referring to forced induction applications?
    The 268's are designed to take over once the Shrick Manifold is coming off song as such higher up the range... Speaking with Vince the 263's are the best all rounders... I have a Shrick manifold but still went for the 263's... Vince drew a nice graph and explained it all whilst I was there and they seemed the best to me.

Ah, ok. 263s with a remap is what I am planning for myself eventually - if there's a group buy in the offing I'm definitely in.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeba View Post
    The 268's are designed to take over once the Shrick Manifold is coming off song as such higher up the range... Speaking with Vince the 263's are the best all rounders... I have a Shrick manifold but still went for the 263's... Vince drew a nice graph and explained it all whilst I was there and they seemed the best to me.
    Petty much that, the Schrick fills the hole on the power curve usually weakened by the longer duration cams. For a road engine its better to view the area underneath the power curve rather than max power at XXXXRPM