Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torpan Sump Pan

Torpan Sump Pan

Any body recommend a torpan sump pan ???? are they any good, do they have a decent material thickness….

looking to change my sump gasket and thinking of changing the pan at the same time....

Any other recommendations...
    Corrado VR6 - Aqua Blue LC5U - 96 'N' Plate
    Black Leather - Heated Seats - Air Con
    Totally Standard and intend to keep it that way !

Hibernation for Winter ! SORN

Topran? They seem to be a cheap Chinese copy manufacturer, so would not be too sure about quality and fit. Have had some bad experiences with their cooling system parts.

Are they still available from VW? To be hones, unless the old one is damaged, they are easy to clean and paint - it's just cosmetic after all and will get dirty again fairly quickly unless you have a cover underneath.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

I think i bought one and fitted it to mine, seemed to be the same quality as an original.

Just checked and it was this one i bought

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161566373...m=161566373453
    Just like a golf................But better!!!

yup my spelling mistake....

mines a weeee bent at the moment and leaking...… think I hit a hump back bridge at silly speed when I was young.... I've picked a second-hand one up which is a vw OEM part.... just not too sure how good the part is and where its been.... it looks straight and the thread looks okay.... just don't want to do the job twice if I can buy a quality part.... don't think VW stock them these day...… saying that does a ford VR6 pan fit ?
    Corrado VR6 - Aqua Blue LC5U - 96 'N' Plate
    Black Leather - Heated Seats - Air Con
    Totally Standard and intend to keep it that way !

Hibernation for Winter ! SORN

Quote Originally Posted by fendervg View Post
    Topran? They seem to be a cheap Chinese copy manufacturer, so would not be too sure about quality and fit. Have had some bad experiences with their cooling system parts.

Are they still available from VW? To be hones, unless the old one is damaged, they are easy to clean and paint - it's just cosmetic after all and will get dirty again fairly quickly unless you have a cover underneath.
    Not really a cheap Chinese Company, Topran is a trade mark of Hans Pries GMBH of Germany but they do source replacement parts from all over the world, a bit like what VW themselves do really.

It's not the company - I accept that the parent company is German - it is where and more importantly to what spec the parts are made that is important. If you look at the price point Topran sells at, it falls into the budget/economy replacement part bracket and is sold as such by many parts suppliers and motor factors.

All I can speak for are the components I saw and handled, and these were nowhere near OEM or VW quality in terms of materials and fit, but this may not be the case for all parts, and the sump pan may be perfectly good.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

I couldn't see much difference in them. I think it depends on the part whether i choose genuine parts or not.

As its just a shaped bit of metal and also uses a gasket with lots of bolts, i went with the topran.

Bought a cheap power steering pump and ended up replacing it with a proper vw one after not many miles.
    Just like a golf................But better!!!

Fair point on the type of part in question - I guess not much can go wrong with a pressed piece of metal. Make sure to get new bolts when replacing and it's also worth considering a magnetic sump plug if you don't have one to catch some of the shrapnel.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

Regular
    I've used a Topran sump on a 4cyl engine in the past, no problems at all with it.

Sounds like some positive recommendations on the sumps - so I take back what I said in relation to Topran in general - but would still not touch their cooling system parts.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery