Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uprated loom fuse melted!

Uprated loom fuse melted!

Went to switch the lights on yesterday and the dipped beam wasn't working. Thought the relay had got stuck but when i checked the fuses the dipped one was totally burnt out. The holder was also slightly charred. Any ideas?
    I'll be cutting it out and soldering a new one but ideally I'd like to ensure it doesn't happen again for the same reason..

Thanks
    Last edited by fla; 23rd October 2018 at 8:39 AM.
    Hasan
    VR6 Auto to manual conversion, beige leather, aircon, TT comps, blue dash lights & switches, Koni TA/Nothelle springs, OBD2, 264 cams, Schrick

my car

CF Nutter
    this happened to mine
    1990 1.8 16v white

did you find out what caused it? I'm suspecting that the fuse holder is not that moisture proof. I'll be using lots of silicone sealant around that area, although longer term plans are to move the relays inside the car.
    Hasan
    VR6 Auto to manual conversion, beige leather, aircon, TT comps, blue dash lights & switches, Koni TA/Nothelle springs, OBD2, 264 cams, Schrick

my car

I need to do something with mine . I stuck the relays to the battery cover. They fell off and got wet , so my lights failed as well .

92 VR6 . DBP. She will never be a show car ..... But will be up there with the best of em .

The bmw seems invincible in isolation . But along side the corrado - a modern classic , we think- it has its work cut out . Autocar 1992.

Usually caused by moisture damage that shorts the fuse. Happened to me when a coolant pipe leaked and sprayed coolant under pressure all over the engine bay. You can get fuse holders that have a removable cover and are waterproof.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

CF Nutter
    I reckon mine was due to water getting in.i should check it at weekend
    1990 1.8 16v white

This thread had prompted me to search out my old MK1 golf up-rated headlight loom I did some years ago based on the 3 relay design which BRM Motorsport used to sell back in the day, I will be rewiring this to suit the Corrado lighting circuit.

Here's a pic of the old loom complete with fuse caps to keep the moisture out, all the components came from vehicle wiring products, the only thing is it uses the old style fuses.
    Attached Images Attached Images

How can we protect the relays ?. I presume you can’t put them inside something as they will get to hot ?. Ive tried using double sided tape and sticking them to the battery cover , so they are not sitting in the battery tray . But they fall off in the end .

92 VR6 . DBP. She will never be a show car ..... But will be up there with the best of em .

The bmw seems invincible in isolation . But along side the corrado - a modern classic , we think- it has its work cut out . Autocar 1992.

If your wanting to keep it all oem ie: not drilling holes for some discreet support bracket etc there's not a lot you can do, but to protect them you can either get the relays with the cover over the fuses (if you have fused relays) or put the relay block in a small ABS box, the relays don't really get that hot.

Thanks for the info Bauhaus.