Thread: No electric power

Enthusiast

No electric power

Hi,

So weird one yesterday. Drove the car a few miles to my aunts house. Parked up for 20mins and then then i went to start her up, there was no power at all. The clocks went blank. No interior light.

Took the key out and went to check if the battery was connected (replaced it a few weeks ago with no issue since then). Also checked/pushed the fuses/relays in the car to make sure they are in (had heater matrix replaced a few weeks ago).

Now i can see the clocks and also the interior light comes on. Put the key in and turn but nothing. No cranking. Clocks also go blank.

Again tried pushing in all the fuses/relays and also jiggled the wires on the battery. Tried starting and she fired up. Did a few more stop starts and she seemed to be fine.

But i'm not sure what was wrong and would like to make sure whatever it was is actually sorted.

Is there a fuse that cuts power completely?

Any help appreciated.

My guess is either the battery earths or the ignition switch. Battery is easy one to check, just take connections off, give them a sand down and bolt them back on. I've had it before where they go a bit green and cause intermittent starting issues.
    Other one could be ignition switch but that shouldn't affect interior light, unless its on crank.

Red 16v gone
    Red VR32.. WIP

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftkid View Post
    My guess is either the battery earths or the ignition switch. Battery is easy one to check, just take connections off, give them a sand down and bolt them back on. I've had it before where they go a bit green and cause intermittent starting issues.
    Other one could be ignition switch but that shouldn't affect interior light, unless its on crank.
    I'll have a proper look at the battery connections tonight.

The interior light/clocks went off when i turned the key i.e. trying to crank. Would ignition switch cause this?

Regular
    Sounds like a bad earth to me too, give everything a good clean up inc the start motor connections

The ignition switch will cut power to most of the auxiliary equipment circuits when cranking, so it can deliver as much power as possible to the starter - but they should all come back on when you go back one position with the key. But your clocks shoudn't go dead. Bad earth or the switch as mentioned above are good things to check first.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery