Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound deadening carpet underlay

CF Nutter

Sound deadening carpet underlay

The carpets are out due to major floor welding.....before I replace them, is there a good sound insulation underlay that anyone can recommend please.

And what is the best way to clean the carpets? Washing machine? Hire a carpet wet cleaner/ vacuum?

Best wishes

RB

Newton Commercial do an underlay set, dynamat could be fitted prior to it. As for washing I'd use a wet vac

Enthusiast
    I used a jet washer... my car had stood for 4+ years and had a lot of water ingress... the carpets stank but were not worn. I covered it in soap (Persil from memory) allowed it to soak and jet washed it off, carpet is now mint!

We used to do this years ago when I worked in a panel shop - car carpet is pretty strong and will dry very quickly... this was out of the car obviously

Is that the same insulation as Heritage sell ?, I also got the carpet from Newton . I put the sticky grey stuff down first , I got the double insulation and found it was too thick . I struggled to get the seats on the runners. I had to remove one layer of the insulation and I still can’t fit the seat runners plastics on .

92 VR6 . DBP. She will never be a show car ..... But will be up there with the best of em .

The bmw seems invincible in isolation . But along side the corrado - a modern classic , we think- it has its work cut out . Autocar 1992.

Seriously now considering removing the new carpet and finding a decent old one .

92 VR6 . DBP. She will never be a show car ..... But will be up there with the best of em .

The bmw seems invincible in isolation . But along side the corrado - a modern classic , we think- it has its work cut out . Autocar 1992.

Enthusiast
    I used this stuff, like you I tried the acoustic foam and it's to thick...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rob, what thickness did you use? 6mm plus a mass barrier should be fine. Perhaps you could trim it slightly by the runners?
    I replaced the soundproofing in mine hs summer with some closed cell foam and a mass loaded vinyl. Noise is now more through the doors but its quieter than before
    Hasan
    VR6 Auto to manual conversion, beige leather, aircon, TT comps, blue dash lights & switches, Koni TA/Nothelle springs, OBD2, 264 cams, Schrick

my car

Roger i just used some persil and a hard brush on mine. They dried quite quickly although it was during the summer. Makes them smell nice too!
    Hasan
    VR6 Auto to manual conversion, beige leather, aircon, TT comps, blue dash lights & switches, Koni TA/Nothelle springs, OBD2, 264 cams, Schrick

my car

Quote Originally Posted by Geeba View Post
    I used this stuff, like you I tried the acoustic foam and it's to thick...
    Mine is very similar to this , I bought the deluxe set , which is basically double . I did use the closed cell product as well Hasan . I’m not sure what to do with it at the moment.
    As for cleaning the carpet, I put mine in the washing machine .

Just to be clear . I used closed cell first, then the deluxe underlay. I tried to put the new carpet down and it proved difficult. I then removed one layer of the underlay but struggled to get my seats in , let alone the plastic runners . I’m repainting the seats over the winter so I will take another look. The newton carpet is thicker than the Oem one too , it’s not very forgiving when fitting either.