Thread: Engine swap advise - TFSI ?

Engine swap advise - TFSI ?

Hello - First post (of hopefully many !) so please take my appoligies if i sound like i havnt a clue ..

I am the proud owner of this lovely 1994 VR6, with all of its 215,000 miles !

file-1.jpeg

Full history, 2 owner car but its obviously tired and needing a complete overhaul - brought as a none runner at an attractive price point.

Plan is to do an engine swap on it to a BHZ/CDL 2.0 TFSI out of an audi S3. FWD only at this point. 6 speed 02M gearbox (as i dont think i can use the S3's gearbox).

Has anyone recently done a simular conversion who can offer any words of advice ?

Cheers
    Tris

Hi Tris, welcome to the forum!
    It's not been done to my knowledge by anyone on the forum, and only done a couple of times on UK cars. Its probably worth a Google, but I'm not sure if those that have done it have really documented it online. Look forward to seeing you progress with it though!
    95 Classic Green VR - Jetex Cat Back|BMC CDA|VT mounts|Bilstein B12s|288mm front brakes|Mk4 Rears|Braided hoses|BBS RX228s|Daves16v shortshifter|Lupo wipers|Uprated headlight loom|
    http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=79984
    CCGB #3982

Quote Originally Posted by seanl82 View Post
    Hi Tris, welcome to the forum!
    It's not been done to my knowledge by anyone on the forum, and only done a couple of times on UK cars. Its probably worth a Google, but I'm not sure if those that have done it have really documented it online. Look forward to seeing you progress with it though!
    Thanks - all the ones ive seen online seam to of been done a number of years ago too.

My 12v VR6 engine is tired and not worth blowing money into, so if a TFSI route proves to be too much of an unknown i might go down the 24v R32 - BFH/BML/BHE route. Some searching to be done

Regular
    R32 gets my votw for the noise and they don't make NA 6 cylinder cars like this anymore. Not seen a TFSI done but the 1.8 20vt has been done plenty of times but sure about how similar the tfsi and 20vt engines are size and gearbox mounting wise. Interesting project you have either way!
    1995 White VR6 CCGB Member 4303

This is something I've been considering more and more, I've gone from VR6 to R32 and to be honest I've got a bit bored of the R32. The noise is OK but its no VR6 by a long shot, mine isn't remapped yet and I do need to get a proper exhaust on it which may change my mind but by todays standards it's just not that quick. By the time I've shoved 1k+ into it on top of the money I've already spent I'm still not past 300bhp which an S3 engine could be nearer 400bhp, and they do sound awesome!

I think there are probably lurkers on here who have done the conversion, I know of a few people that have done it but the biggest problem with the TFSI stuff is that you either need to transplant the full car into the corrado or do some clever coding. The engine needs to see the most of car electronics to for the clever TFSI bits to work properly and a cowboy coder will just turn things off and you are just left with an overpriced 1.8t. Unfortunately those who have done it have either paid for it to be done, or aren't really willing at this point to share their research and knowledge, for good reason I suppose. There is a facebook group of tfsi into mk1/mk2 golfs which would be a good start, and clubgti.

I'd be interested to know what you find out though as it may spur me on to do something with mine!

Red 16v gone
    Red VR32.. WIP

Ive seen the 6sp 02M gearbox being spoken about with the TFSI into corrado (FWD), but cant find anywhere now selling the mounting kit (Dutchdub/c2motersports). Anyone got any recent links ?

Enthusiast
    Yeah the engine in my Scirocco does sound pretty awesome on full chat! it's the S3 TFSI engine - yep I'm sure I've read that the electronics is the awkward bit... you could go full standalone thou I guess.... how big is your wallet!

Dutchbuild is quite active on instagram and it's all custom made stuff anyway so could speak to him. The guy who built the twin engined 4motion (now R32) lupo has done a few tfsi conversions as well, could try him.
    Also just read about the phirm have completed a few many moons ago, definitely worth a try! I know from speaking to Vince at stealth that tuners don't like doing loom conversions for DIY'ers due to volume of unchargeable calls and advice they have to give as aftersales so might not be too willing to share knowledge or sell their special widgets, understandable really.

As far as I'm aware, the standalone will run it but again it will just run it without the clever fueling stuff, think its the high pressure fuel pump and injector location. I have only seen posts about people saying how you can't do it as opposed to how you can so I may be talking rubbish.

Red 16v gone
    Red VR32.. WIP

Epytec in Germany do the mounts for the O2M gearbox into a Corrado, if it's come out of anything except the Ibiza/Fabia/9N Polo platform. Darkside Developments do the mounts for those gearboxes.

In my garage, somewhere near the top of Suffolk
    There is a group on facebook dedicated to putting TFSI engines in mk1 and mk2 golfs, that would be worth a look, it called 'TFSI/TSI swapped mk1/mk2s'

You can get the OEM ECU de-immobilised which makes it easier to fit. Same principal as the 1.8T but with a higher pressure fuel pump by the tank. I think there were alot of people trying to run standalone ECUs because you could get the OEM immo to work which caused alot of problems and meaning the engine didnt run as it should.

I did/am considering doing this but it would have to be a CDL engine just for the power (I run a golf R as a daily so can recommend them) but they are expensive a standard mk5 GTI engine would be ok but I have a 1.8T in my C and converting it to TFSI for the small gain doesnt seem worth it (but never say never )
    Last edited by rado20vT; 4 Weeks Ago at 1:38 PM.
    Graham
    20v Turbo, Audi TT Leather, 17" BBS, 330mm front discs with Brembo;s, 256mm rear, Digital dash in development
    OEM++