Thread: Crack pipe - block corrosion

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆

Crack pipe - block corrosion

Mechanic is struggling to get new crack pipe to seal at block end, he mentioned there is some corrosion on the block, that was emery clothed before new crack pipe fitted.

Canít recall what make the new crack pipe is, it is a plastic one, I gave him 2 as I bought one that came by itself (Most likely from VW Heritage) and if I recall the other came with a new thermostat housing kit, one of them would not fit into the block at all apparently!

Any tips or tricks, as it needs stripping back down tomorrow but it is understandably hard to tell if it is sealing properly until filled and at pressure?

Ta

Edd
    1995 Storm (Green)

Common problem. Make sure he makes the surface properly smooth. Also, refit the crack pipe with some grease on the o ring.
    Hasan
    VR6 Auto to manual conversion, beige leather, aircon, TT comps, blue dash lights & switches, Koni TA/Nothelle springs, OBD2, 264 cams, Schrick

my car

I had problems with mine . As Hasan said in the above reply make sure itís clean and plenty of lube. I the end , after struggling to push it ,push and twist it , I gave in and put a block of wood on the end and tapped it in .

92 VR6 . DBP. She will never be a show car ..... But will be up there with the best of em .

The bmw seems invincible in isolation . But along side the corrado - a modern classic , we think- it has its work cut out . Autocar 1992.

I actually ended up using a drill attachment with sandpaper on to get the perfect smooth finish.
    Mystic Blue Storm VR6
    Stealth Rebuilt Engine, 263's, 288mm, BMC-CDA, KW V1's, E57 ORM, Wavetrac LSD, VT Engine Mounts, Jetex
    CCGB - 2772

Yeah, if it's not perfect, the o-ring will catch on the corrosion and may even get damaged so it won't seal properly. I heated the seal in some hot water and used a bit of lube - I don't think it's meant to be easy to fit even when new as it has to make a good water tight seal.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery