Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! I'm considering a French car!!!!

Help! I'm considering a French car!!!!

Yes it's true. I need some evidence as to why I shouldn't, so I'll explain. My daily commute is 172 miles, so I'll be putting 25-30k miles on a car each year. I need something newer, and as fuel is currently costing me about £400 per month in the Passat, coupled with £240 per year tax, it needs to be small and economical. I sit at 70 with the cruise control on for most of the journey, so it doesn't need to be big engined as most of the time I'm on the inside lane anyway! I have 15 mins of country roads though so nothing too wallowy. The amount of mileage I'll be doing means I don't want to spend a great deal so low mileage isn't a necessity (it'll depreciate before my eyes anyway) though the lower the better for obvious reasons. My budget is 4-5k, and probably diesel as it actually works in my favour due to the distances I'll be covering. Happy to be told otherwise though. All I can currently find that offers good value and great economy are; Pug 208, Citroen DS3, or Renault Clios. I'm looking at economy figures online though, so has anyone got any real world experience on economy please? It has to be comfortable, have DAB radio, AC, and cuise control - those are my only stipulations. Any help or advice appreciated!
    95 Classic Green VR - Jetex Cat Back|BMC CDA|VT mounts|Bilstein B12s|288mm front brakes|Mk4 Rears|Braided hoses|BBS RX228s|Daves16v shortshifter|Lupo wipers|Uprated headlight loom|
    http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=79984
    CCGB #3982

Regular
    I'd say one of these, but not sure if they have cruise control

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...had=New&page=4

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    My nephew has a 3 cylinder Tdi Ibiza and gets around 80 mpg real world

Get a Yaris Sean. Super reliable, economical and quite ok on the motorway. Plus really easy to work on.
    Hasan
    VR6 Auto to manual conversion, beige leather, aircon, TT comps, blue dash lights & switches, Koni TA/Nothelle springs, OBD2, 264 cams, Schrick

my car

I think a Yaris or Up may be a little too small to be comfortable on long drives...... I'm only 5.10" but I need to extend my legs a bit when driving.

I'll look into the Ibiza a bit more, and I've considered a Fabia and even a Mini One D. They just don't seem to offer as good value for money as the French stuff though
    95 Classic Green VR - Jetex Cat Back|BMC CDA|VT mounts|Bilstein B12s|288mm front brakes|Mk4 Rears|Braided hoses|BBS RX228s|Daves16v shortshifter|Lupo wipers|Uprated headlight loom|
    CCGB #3982

CF Nutter
    Sean,
    I know I am biased but Mk1 Fabia VRS are very reliable, cheap to maintain , eat up the miles and can be mapped to around 180 bhp. I could average around 60 - 65 mpg on mt 17 mile commute.
    CCGB 2278
    Past VW Drives: 86 Golf CL, 90 Golf GTI, 90 Corrado 16v, 90 Golf GTI, 96 Golf GTI, 94 Storm Grey Corrado VR, Polo 1.4 CL, 88 Jetta GTI, 90 Golf GTI , 2003 Fabia vRs, 00 Polo GTI
    Current Drives: 94 Aqua Blue VR 89 Golf Mk2 GTI
    07 Fabia VRS Special Edition, Octavia VRS Estate, Kawasaki ZZR 600.

Quote Originally Posted by VR6 South View Post
    Sean,
    I know I am biased but Mk1 Fabia VRS are very reliable, cheap to maintain , eat up the miles and can be mapped to around 180 bhp. I could average around 60 - 65 mpg on mt 17 mile commute.
    Its still going strong then Martin! I know what you're saying and I may well look at something a bit older. I'm not fussed about power though tbh, as I'm constantly trying to eek out an extra MPG! It would be nice to have a few mod cons though, and don't really want to have to worry about fixing things over the next 3 years. Thats all the car would be likely to last before it gets moved on due to the mileage and things needing replacing. The Passat had an awful lot of advisories at the last MOT, and though the plan was to replace bits here and there, I couldn't be arsed and it'll cost about 1k in parts to sort. Just seems like dead money considering its only worth that anyway.

Maybe not this colour combo, but this is what has drawn me so far.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...at_cars&page=1
    Last edited by seanl82; 1 Week Ago at 7:21 PM.
    CCGB #3982

CF Nutter
    Quote Originally Posted by seanl82 View Post
    Its still going strong then Martin! I know what you're saying and I may well look at something a bit older. I'm not fussed about power though tbh, as I'm constantly trying to eek out an extra MPG! It would be nice to have a few mod cons though, and don't really want to have to worry about fixing things over the next 3 years. Thats all the car would be likely to last before it gets moved on due to the mileage and things needing replacing. The Passat had an awful lot of advisories at the last MOT, and though the plan was to replace bits here and there, I couldn't be arsed and it'll cost about 1k in parts to sort. Just seems like dead money considering its only worth that anyway.
    The map gave improved economy as well as extra power when I need it. Not that I am power obsessed, but it’s nice to have it when you need it. I have driven a few new french and German low powered so called eco cars as hire cars and they don’t return the economy you would necessarily expect. French cars are made of cheese ��
    CCGB 2278
    Past VW Drives: 86 Golf CL, 90 Golf GTI, 90 Corrado 16v, 90 Golf GTI, 96 Golf GTI, 94 Storm Grey Corrado VR, Polo 1.4 CL, 88 Jetta GTI, 90 Golf GTI , 2003 Fabia vRs, 00 Polo GTI
    Current Drives: 94 Aqua Blue VR 89 Golf Mk2 GTI
    07 Fabia VRS Special Edition, Octavia VRS Estate, Kawasaki ZZR 600.

I've driven quite a few recently as well, though most have been Petrol and I'm not particularly worried about economy when I'm not paying for it! I was surprisingly impressed by the Suzuki Swift actually!
    CCGB #3982

Enthusiast
    Don't do French.... its like driving something made out of bog roll and chewing gum after a Germanic motor... even the difference in the sound of the door closing is hugely different - one sounds like a well build heavy door the other sounds like fag paper... I even notice the difference between Ford and VW (sorry Ford fans) - but I used to work in a panel shop so tend to look at things.

I was going to say the same as Dox or VR6 South - the three pot Ibiza is pretty reasonable, a mate had one for ages doing long miles... as is the VRS - and definitely map for better MPG... you can just sit on the torque and keep the RPM down.

Actually I drove a Kia the other day.... that wasn't bad in all honesty....