Thread: Rear Caliper Binding - Help Needed

Rear Caliper Binding - Help Needed

Had the discs and pads replaced about 1000 miles back. Reversed out of the drive the other day and there was a noticeable grinding noise from the nearside rear wheel. Drove 6 miles in town traffic and noticed that the car wasn't freewheeling properly. Eventually came to a stop but the brake pedal almost went to the floor!

The nearside rear brake was smoking and I could feel a lot of heat from it. The handbrake still feels like it's moving properly so I'm guessing the calliper is seized. I've no experience with brakes and wondered if it was possible to inspect the callipers to see if they can be cleaned up, or if it's best just to replace with new?

Pictures would help if anyone has any.

Cheers.
    Tornado Red G60 - 1993-1995
    Aqua Blue VR6 - 1997-2000
    Aqua Blue VR6 - Current car

As you say the Caliper is seized . If it were me I would replace both Calipers , but go for the MK4 Golf parts. The rear braking is no better, but they are less prone to binding and seizing .

92 VR6 . DBP. She will never be a show car ..... But will be up there with the best of em .

The bmw seems invincible in isolation . But along side the corrado - a modern classic , we think- it has its work cut out . Autocar 1992.

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    Check the pads aren't jammed in the carriers, not cleaned up by the fitter before installing new pads.

Is it easy enough to check if the pads are jammed in the carrier? Is it just a case of taking out the caliper bolts and having a look?

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutty View Post
    Is it easy enough to check if the pads are jammed in the carrier? Is it just a case of taking out the caliper bolts and having a look?
    Yes, the pads should just pull out with your fingers, the fact that the handbrake lever will move suggests the piston is not seized.

Don’t press the pedal with the Caliper off the pads

Also check the Caliper slides move in and out freely

Thanks for the advice. I lifted the car and the wheel is now spinning fine! No doubt it's just a matter of time before it seizes again, the calipers look pretty corroded so I think I'll replace them with MK4s.

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆
    I have issues with mine in freezing overnight conditions where the handbrake doesn't release properly. Maybe water/condensation in one of the cables freezing. Could it have been something like that?
    1994 Corrado VR6
    2007 Mercedes CLS63 AMG
    www.totalfishkeeping.com