Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: digital clock help PLEASE .

digital clock help PLEASE .

Evening everyone .
    Ok so around 7/8 years ago i was putting a leather interior in to my car .A Mate who i now cant get hold of said your switches would look great in red and had a spare set . He also somehow changed the digital clocks to red as well . Im now changing back to oem green , obviously changing the switches is straight forward , but how has he changed the digital clocks to red ?. Is there just a film on the top which can be slid out ?, i can move the one on the maf , slide it from side to side . Or has he some how changed the programe on the circuit board ?. Any help would be much appreciated .
    Rob

92 VR6 . DBP. She will never be a show car ..... But will be up there with the best of em .

The bmw seems invincible in isolation . But along side the corrado - a modern classic , we think- it has its work cut out . Autocar 1992.

Hi Rob, I changed my clocks to blue on my first valver and it must’ve been fairly straightforward if I managed it.
    I think it was just some blue bulbs and possibly a clear strip of plastic. I might even still have the stuff I removed originally.......the joys of being a hoarder
    I’ll have a look and see and it may well help you?
    95 Classic Green Storm
    95 Flash Red VR6

For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
    For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible

Thanks Martin , ive found an old thread and it states that the film has to be removed .I removed one and it looks clear ?, i presume they should be green ?. So the bulbs are not clear ?.

92 VR6 . DBP. She will never be a show car ..... But will be up there with the best of em .

The bmw seems invincible in isolation . But along side the corrado - a modern classic , we think- it has its work cut out . Autocar 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by robrado974 View Post
    Thanks Martin , ive found an old thread and it states that the film has to be removed .I removed one and it looks clear ?, i presume they should be green ?. So the bulbs are not clear ?.
    I can’t find the original stuff......yet, sadly it’s like a needle in a haystack here. I’m not 100% sure about the original bulbs but the bulbs I used to turn mine blue were definitely coloured. Almost sure the film will be a green one originally as I’m sure I replaced that with a blue one. I bought the kit off here from a Dutch guy I’m sure.
    95 Classic Green Storm
    95 Flash Red VR6

The bulbs I have from the bottom have a black base but are clear in colour. The film looks like it has no colour either, so how is it lit red ?. I’m confused.

I found one bulb that was a spare from my original swap, it has a clear bulb with a blue base, and it lights up blue when you introduce power
    95 Classic Green Storm
    95 Flash Red VR6

Right so even a clear bulb can be coloured then . So I could possibly keep the plastic that goes on the top and source the green bulbs from somewhere.
    Many thanks Martin, you’ve been a great help.

Hi Rob sorry just saw this thread. I changed mine to blue several years back. The leds i soldered in were clear but gave a blue light. The clocks had a green filter which i removed and out some light diffusion film in instead. I think the digital displays also had gree film - these i changed to red using a red filter. So its quite doable but give me a shout if you need any input.
    Hasan
    VR6 Auto to manual conversion, beige leather, aircon, TT comps, blue dash lights & switches, Koni TA/Nothelle springs, OBD2, 264 cams, Schrick

my car

The original design for the digital LCD displays (clock inclusive) was a clear 5w 12v incandescent style bulb with a green translucent film to aid in colour diffusion. There are a few options; have a different tinted film with the original clear bulb, or have a frosty translucent film with a coloured led. I opted for a strip of coloured leds as I found that a single bulb caused spotting.
    92' Pearl Green 2.0l 16V, SOLD

94' Sherry Pearl VR6, 15" black Speedlines, Bilstein Sport suspension, Milltek cat back, black heated leather, MK4 calipers, MK4 handbrake, MK4 climatronic, OBD2 conversion

Quote Originally Posted by fla View Post
    Hi Rob sorry just saw this thread. I changed mine to blue several years back. The leds i soldered in were clear but gave a blue light. The clocks had a green filter which i removed and out some light diffusion film in instead. I think the digital displays also had gree film - these i changed to red using a red filter. So its quite doable but give me a shout if you need any input.
    Thanks for the info Hasan , much appreciated. I will have to find somewhere to get the bulbs as I can’t tell looking on line . Heritage don’t sell them .