Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eibach and Bilstein B4 shocks

Thanks PFNSHT,

I have just come off the the phone to Larkspeed and he was familar with the issue.

He told me that its a problem that has been going on for years and that its not age (year of manufacture related) , its just they fit some perfectly and on other Rados are to short. He said Eibach have researched it exstensivley and have still not got to the bottom of it. Sounds to me like a batch of rear springs has gone out that was manufactured to short or VW had randomly different height supensions which is what Larkspeed are suggesting.

So been advised to get my mechanic to fit the ones I have now and if they dont fit to call them back , but that means my car could be off the road a while a x2 cost for mechanic bit of a bummer. I told him mine was a late model.
    Last edited by Keyo; 14th January 2019 at 9:48 AM.

Tempted to ask for a refund any other recommendations for springs ? 1995 rado vr6

It actually has H Ans R springs at the moment and sits two fingers above the tire so correct height for 25 mm , it drives awful though with the Koni shocks as i think they are shot or just to damn stiff.

What are the shelf life of springs , these H and r were fitted in 2003 any good still you reckon lads ?

Really tempted to go for the B3 Bilstein springs with my new b4 shocks which are basically stock, looks crap with the ride height and everything but you know these cars are getting older and originality is the the thing, also i bet the drive is actually realy good and comfortable.

What are your thought rado members ?Cheers.
    Last edited by Keyo; 14th January 2019 at 10:00 AM.

I bought my kit from Larkspeed too, they were very good at swapping over even though I bought the kit 6 months before fitting.

Re: the ride though - I wouldn't have thought there would be much difference between H&R and Eibach springs. Have you got adjustable Koni's? Maybe they've been wound up to their hardest setting. Else Billy B4s should make the ride softer, being a softer shock. One point to note is that B4s aren't designed for shorter springs, that said there is probably enough tolerance in it to cater for mild lowering springs and depending where you read it's often said 20/25mm spring kits were designed to for stock shocks.
    1995 White VR6 CCGB Member 4303

Right just come off the phone from larkspeed and mentioned returning and about the B3 shocks.

He said 98% of the eibach lowering springs do fit correct height and will be so much better the Bilstein B3 springs. So Im going to chance it.

As regards in using a B4 shock with a eibach lowering spring he said they are actually designed be used with oem shocks in mind , so Im happy about that as always hereing you need the B8 or B6 , I have B4 and Eibachs on a R129 which drives and sits amazing no bumps and really comfortable. Always disagreed with you need the stiffer shocks (with eibach springs) as retailers always push you to go for the more exspensive stiffer shocks. I base this on going no lower then 30mm. He did say H and R springs are much stiffer then eibach so a stiffer absorber would be required in this instance.
    Last edited by Keyo; 14th January 2019 at 10:33 AM.

Your probably right the Koni I bet are on the stiff setting because the car basically bounces over rough roads ha , I reckon if fitted in 2003 and 90 k miles since surely must be past it sell by date.

Oh yes most probably well past their best then. I've read the same reports re: eibach pro line / 20-25mm kits and standard shocks. When I was researching the same combo works well across other forums for other makes so it will be fine.

I had this exact same headache around a year ago so feel your frustration on something that should be straight forward. Fortunately Larkspeed will sort it all out either way.
    1995 White VR6 CCGB Member 4303

Thanks for all your help mate.

Just shows though always worth purchasing from the UK for the litlle more cost, for such an occurence of returning product and customer service.