Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oil Leak & Timing Chains

That 964 would have epic and worth a bit today. Those prices are insane. Porsche have been a bit naughty with those engines. BMW had something with cylinder liners but they did the right thing and replaced them.

Iíve always been mechanically sympathetic, the corrado is easier with the oil temp gauge but I keep it below 3k until it reaches 94-96 degrees. Else on other cars I wait at least 10 miles (and even then my daily tdi still hasnít got its coolant up to temp let alone I assume oil)

Yeah Porsche are ****bags , think the boxters and caymans suffered from the same problems to. Must admit I do still have a softspot for the 996 such a great car to drive . The good thing about Rados is they are pretty cheap for parts compared to other sportier brands and pretty rare cars these days to be fair.

Yea I do try and tell myself parts are reasonable compared to other marques. The only thing that annoys me about the corrado is obsolete parts and having to pay a fortune for a working 25 year old part.

Front wings for example donít exist but Iíd happily pay 300 quid for a new pair (mine are fine fortunately). ABS parts - I had to strip down my abs travel sensor, re solder abs silicon back up. These sorts of things are usually available on other marques for a price. ABS pumps and parts arenít available but some can be repaired by BBA Remen (I have this fault and 2 working and 1 broken pump here ready for a fix). Headlights and fog lights - tabs break, reflective material goes but again canít source new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by pfnsht View Post
    I'll let Stealth inspect it for bore wear, I'm sure they'll advise what's best. The chains, clutch and head refurb is a package they do. I believe they send the head off to be refurbed - skim, inspect for cracks, steam, guides, seals. From reading around they've done quite a lot of them!

One Q - if I was burning oil due to bores - wouldn't I see blue smoke from the exhaust regularly?I can't say it doesn't but I've never seen blue smoke and I've had the wife follow to inspect on a few occasions with full acceleration 2nd gear to redline test too. Nothing comes out.

Bottom end rebuild would be +2.5k if it is bust though.
    You would likely not see blue smoke unless you're really keen eyed tbh. If it was belching enough to be that obvious you would be using a hell of a lot more than a litre per 1k miles.

Yes, bottom end rebuild usually means you prefer to buy a recon engine and hand yours back in part ex.. Or, like most people, you just live with it and buy more oil .. lol
    [ WARNING: the above message may contain irony, sarcasm and outright lies. ]

** Every time you think about sex, another Corrado gets written off. **

ahhh I see thanks Mat, could well be an issue down there then, though I hope not. Good info.

Almost don't want to get it fixed for fear of opening a whole can of worms.
    1995 White VR6 CCGB Member 4303

Well this is it .. you find yourself a grand and a half in and you're told it needs another one or two on top .. are you able to bail out without it costing an arm and a leg?

To be honest, BAD bore wear is probably quite rare but at this sort of mileage a bit of leakage wouldn't be a big surprise, and probably not worth fixing.
    [ WARNING: the above message may contain irony, sarcasm and outright lies. ]

** Every time you think about sex, another Corrado gets written off. **

Probably makes sense to have a back up plan (replacement engine - I havenít asked the q but a 24v would slot in relatively pain free) or not have any work done. Chains are silent. They could have been done for all I know.

Ahhh I have an irrational love for the car and can see it being kept for years/forever so try and do things with the future in mind. But being told the bores are caked with no return would feck a perfectly useable classic. I have bought some forte seal conditioner in the meantime.

The only reason Iíd go as far to have all this work done is because it makes sense whilst it is apart. But if it ainít broke why fix? In reality itís never going to be a high value corrado with the miles. But then Iíve always said Iíll maintain things regardless of value. Itís not for sale so has no liquid value. Ramblings but appreciate the forums comments to spark my thoughts 😂

Matt

..and when you start talking about "spare engine", perhaps it's time to take a step back to the beginning of the process and work out how you get here! Burning a bit of oil ..?

We enjoy tinkering with these cars so much there's a temptation to fix problems that aren't really problems yet.

Good point - must stop chasing perfection!