Thread: Starter issues 2.0 corrado

Starter issues 2.0 corrado

Hello guys need some help, I installed my new starter motor it a RTX one, once the car was started after 5 mins I heard the starter wind down, and smoke, I removed it from the car and bench tested , the solonoid engages out but the starter does not turn and the motor is burnt out, I'm now wondering if it's the wiring , the wiring is as follows - there is a cable from the positive battery lead going to the solenoid, the in the same stud of the solonoid there is a wire from that to the alternator, I then have a a smaller wire that is on a black single solace connector on the starter and that's it, there is a bracket attached to one of the starter retaining bolts but it's just holding in wires, also I can only see one ground wire from negative terminal to the chassis and on to the gear box, I have been told that is the ground for the engine side , so was wondering where the ground for the starter is, I'm really stuck on what to look out for, previously the starter was a bosch one and was smoking but burnt out after couple days, all help is greatly appriciated in advance

Enthusiast
    I have a 2.0 16v .will check tomorrow and let you know.can not post photos on here

Enthusiast
    The earth for the starter is through the gearbox, which itself is earthed directly to the battery

Enthusiast
    Have checked the wiring on the starter.The big fat red wire from the battery go’s to the 13 mm nut.the is a red/black wire on a wiring block plugs in the starter.Earth go’s from the battery to the gearbox(as above)