Thread: Wanted - OEM tape deck

Wanted - OEM tape deck

Hi all,

I wondered if anybody had an original VW tape deck around they might want to part with? My Mk1 has a hideous 2000s unit in it at the moment and I'd like to tone it down!

Hopefully someone's got one on a shelf somewhere

My first choice would be a VW Gamma 3 (see pic) but would consider anything. Thanks in advance,

Stone

RIP: '95 Blackberry Corrado VR6 auto
    Daily: 2003 DPB Mk4 R32

There's always a few Gamma 3/4s with green illumination on German eBay - that's where I got mine. I'd say that unit would be the wrong era for a Mk 1 though - here's a guide to some older ones:
    http://www.cabby-info.com/Files/Radios.pdf
    http://www.cabby-info.com/Files/Radios_AntiTheft.pdf

Or have you considered something like RetroSounds - basically a modern head unit made to suit classic cars?

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

I've got an original Sony head unit from a '95
    1995 VR6 "Black Magic Pearl"
    1995 VR6 "Mystic blue" Storm edition
    CCGB 4302

Quote Originally Posted by fendervg View Post
    There's always a few Gamma 3/4s with green illumination on German eBay - that's where I got mine. I'd say that unit would be the wrong era for a Mk 1 though - here's a guide to some older ones:
    http://www.cabby-info.com/Files/Radios.pdf
    http://www.cabby-info.com/Files/Radios_AntiTheft.pdf

Or have you considered something like RetroSounds - basically a modern head unit made to suit classic cars?
    Thanks, I had seen those pages before but couldn't find them when I started looking again recently!

Although it's a Mk1 it's a cabrio, and right on the changeover to when they started putting Mk2-style big bumpers on them (1987-198, so a 90s radio would still fit the theme IMO. Apparently all the Gammas require the Activ speaker system, so that might be out. Maybe a Beta 4?

It'd be pretty trivial to splice in a Chinese bluetooth module to the tape input - they're only £2 (!) off eBay - and the RDS/TA features would make it useful enough to use day-to-day. Basically I just want to tone down the dash a bit, all the blue LEDs and fake chrome have started to annoy me

Quote Originally Posted by spen View Post
    I've got an original Sony head unit from a '95
    Would rather have a VW one, thanks though!
    Last edited by Stonejag; 12th February 2019 at 6:07 PM.
    RIP: '95 Blackberry Corrado VR6 auto
    Daily: 2003 DPB Mk4 R32

Ah - ok. No, actually the only ones that seem to need the Aktiv speakers are the Gamma CD with built in disc player as far as I know (these don't have a final stage amp in them as the speakers are powered directly).

I run a Gamma IV with the CD changer control in my Corrado (I think it's the pic in the first post, and you'll notice that it says 4 x 20 watts above the tape slot), so definitely no need for the active speakers there. I have a Connects2 iPod adapter that hooks up to the CD ISO connector as well and I believe you can get bluetooth/aux in ones too.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

Oh awesome, I hadn't twigged that about the Gammas (who ever reads the front text? :Lol

I would love an original Gamma CD but they're commanding frankly ridiculous prices now. Short of digging through a German scrapyard and crossing my fingers I don't think that'll be a winner. That said some people still want £150 for a Gamma 4!

I've seen the CD changer connectivity kits on AliExpress, actually look quite good (and include Bluetooth handsfree which is a nice touch). Hopefully someone here has one or I'll get back on eBay