Thread: Control arm and ball joint replacement - tips

Control arm and ball joint replacement - tips

Hi all,

Noticed a bit of play on the 12/6 o'clock test + a torn boot on the the ball joint. One of my control arm bushes looks a bit cracked too so I've seen some Febi Bilstein control arm + ball joint assemblies for circa £67 ea and plan to replace myself. Does that sort of price sound alright?

Gaining confidence working on the car but haven't done this job before. I have tools, including an impact wrench & torque wrench.

On reading I've seen it's advisable to jack both sides up when replacing a ball joint - is this necessary if replacing control arm and ball joint as a ready assembled unit? Reason I ask is because my drive way is slightly sloped and it's easier to jack one side at a time.

As far other stuff - is it just a couple of bolts on the body/sub frame and off it will drop? Any advice on torque settings?

Cheers,
    Matt
    1995 White VR6 CCGB Member 4303

Oh and any advice on anything else it might make sense to change/inspect at the same time would be great too.

The car has just had new shocks, springs and top mounts.

Cheers
    1995 White VR6 CCGB Member 4303

Not sure about torque setting but I purchased a Febi kit waiting to fit off ebay that came with the wishbones and a few other goodies.

Have you inspected the front droplinks ? There are also four bushes on the front beam , 3 engine and tranmission mounts ,and 2 rear axle bushes.

Front x 4 bushes beam

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-M...72.m2749.l2649

Drop links

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fits-VW-C...72.m2749.l2649

Front suspension kit

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FEBI-SUSP...72.m2749.l2649

Rear axle bushes

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Febi-Rear...72.m2749.l2649

Let us know if you want a link for the engine and tranny mounts and Ill pop them over to you as well.

If jacking on a sloped drive I advise putting a couple of tyres under the car to act a safety cushion if the jack becomes unlodged, only metioned this as it happened to me once and it was one hell of a close shave.
    Last edited by Keyo; 17th February 2019 at 10:37 PM.

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆
    Jacking up both sides is essential if you are doing anything with the anti roll bar. You don’t want the twist in it when undoing anything, broken bones likely.