Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clutch low bite point and now cannot select gears

Watch out with the master - there are two types with different connectors for the push rod to pedal - one with a loop on the early cars, and then one with a ball end and a plastic clip for the later ones. It's possible to fit a late one to an early car but you need to replace the clutch pedal to take the new type fitting.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

A word of warning when you remove the slave. If you happen to use a ratchet and extension, when you undo one of the bolts, it's possible to get the head of the ratchet stuck against the long transmission bracket. If, like mine, your ratchet direction switch is on the back of the head, good luck, you're stuck! At least this can occur on the US cars.

Was gonna get a pal to sort the car but i thought i’d have a bash at fitting the slave myself and didn’t take me long at all, borrowed a power bleeder from my mechanic friend and she lives!
    Well chuffed with myself as pedal feels great and everything is back to normal, i’ll probably keep the master i bought for a just in case backup

Couldn’t believe how easy it was

Good to hear - yes, the slave is a fairly easy job to do - glad to hear it sorted it for you, and definitely hang on to the master as no doubt you will need it sooner or later.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    So with the old slave now off what's wrong with it?

When i removed the slave from the gearbox the push rod separated from the slave,(stayed inside the gearbox housing) and looking inside the slave it was leaking so the internal seals had failed by the looks of it.

I cheated when bleeding the slave as used a power bleeder which connects to the battery, awesome bit of kit.. just waited until all the air bubbles were gone and cranked the bleed nipple back up.

Clutch feels spot on now with the bite point where it should be as well.
    92 VR6