Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car won't turn over

Car won't turn over

Hey guys!

So here is the issue. My G60 was having stalling issues when it got up to operating temperature so I got a new distributor in order to replace the hall sender. The car sat for about a month and a half before I was able to work on it. I also replaced the battery because my old one was in pretty rough shape when I tried starting the car after replacing the distributor. Now here is my issue: my car won't start at all after replacing the distributor. I made sure that the wires were going to the right places and everything like that, but the car won't turn over. It almost sounds like it is out of gas but I made sure that there is gas in it. Is this just a timing thing since I just replaced the distributor? Or do you guys think this is something else?

Thank you!

Is the wiring to the hall sender on the distributor intact and connected? It might have got moved or damaged. Also check that the lead from the centre cap is correctly connected.

I think your best bet is to check for spark from the coil and then at the leads individually.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

Everything is connected and it is not damaged. I will double check for spark. I am curious if the distributor wasn't lined up correctly and threw the timing out of whack.

Regular
    Yeah I'd start with the static timing, get it all lined up and make sure the line on the edge if the distributor is in line with the rotor arm

Will do! Thank you! I’ll report back in a couple minutes to let ou know if that worked

Hey guys so the rotor was flipped away from the line, so I flipped it and tried again and now the battery just sounds dead. It is a brand new battery that I got yesterday. I have tried to turn the car over probably 20-30 times since hooking up the new battery. You guys think the battery is just drained from the car not being able to turn on?

Try putting the battery on charge if you don’t have a tester. If the amp metre flies up it’s drained and needs charging, might have been on the shelf a while and it sounds like you’ve been trying with it for while
    4th one surely the last

You'll need to do the engine timing when changing the distributor as everything will be out of sync. Unless you set it to TDC at number 1 and marked everything prior to removing it.
    MY 1991 G60 CURRENTLY IN RESTORATION
    http://the-corrado.net/showthread.ph...-Daily-Project

Regular
    Are the HT leads on correctly? Starting from the one that lines up with the rotor arm when at tdc should be 1-3-4-2 with no.1 being closest to cambelt

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    Its a 4 stroke engine, suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

No1 piston is on TDC twice per cycle.

Remove the cam cover and spark plugs, with a spanner on the crank pulley rotate the engine to TDC (you can carefully place a screwdriver inside number one plug hole - timing belt end, to watch the piston lift to its full height) with the cam lobes on number one cylinder pointing skywards in a V formation (if they're not rotate the engine another 360 degrees) , remove the dizzy cap and check you've put the dizzy in correctly.

If you use the screwdriver in the plug hole slow and easy is the way to go as you don't want it jamming and damaging anything