Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car won't turn over

SO here is where we are at today. Dox I did not see your comment until now I apologize. I noticed the plug wires needed to be moved one place clockwise and now the car is closer to starting. Today I got a MEAN backfire when trying to turn it over again (something to worry about??). What I want to do is what Dox said. Set it to TDC and then set the distributor to the correct position. Can I rotate the crank pulley with a spanner with the wheels on the ground? or do both front wheels need to be lifted in order to turn it? (sorry if dumb question haha)

Also thank you guys for all your help! It is greatly appreciated.

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Popeye775 View Post
    What I want to do is what Dox said. Set it to TDC and then set the distributor to the correct position. Can I rotate the crank pulley with a spanner with the wheels on the ground? or do both front wheels need to be lifted in order to turn it? (sorry if dumb question haha)
    Have you been playing with the distributor without having the timing set at TDC?

Just put the car into neutral to rotate the engine

Yes because that is what I was told to do by a family member who works on cars was to mess with the distributor until it is in the correct spot. Honestly setting it to TDC just seems better and easy to do

Hey guys! So, I got it running. I set the timing belt pulley to TDC and aligned the distributor. Double checked everything and it started! I appreciate you guys helping me out with this!

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    At the end of the day we only gave advice, you listened and got the car to run, so well done you

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Popeye775 View Post
    Hey guys! So, I got it running. I set the timing belt pulley to TDC and aligned the distributor. Double checked everything and it started! I appreciate you guys helping me out with this!
    Good stuff, well done

Tell your family member to stop working on cars...

New issue now haha. The car turns on but won't stay on. It stays on for maybe a couple minutes (not even enough time to warm up to operating temp) and shuts down. It has major difficulty turning back on after shutting off. Any ideas?

fuel feed blocked perhaps, maybe due to clogged filter? Also check the return line - this just goes back to the tank. Might help to check pressure at the fuel rail too.
    Fuel pump relay ok? On the VR this is number 167 (or 67)
    Hasan
    VR6 Auto to manual conversion, beige leather, aircon, TT comps, blue dash lights & switches, Koni TA/Nothelle springs, OBD2, 264 cams, Schrick

my car

Regular
    How does it run for those 2 minutes?

You could check the usual culprits - the ISV and the idle screw on the throttle body [this has a rubber o-ring that sometimes deteriorates resulting in an air leak] - although these will usually result in a rough idle / no idle at all.