Thread: Blowing Exhaust manifold

Blowing Exhaust manifold

Hey, i have had a leak on the vr6 exhaust manifold leading to a bit of a blow, not unpleasant but could be effecting performance.

Now i have noted a couple of things the mating surfaces for the gaskets on the cast iron are not perfect and quite rough in places, so could this be an issue?

Also the two flexi pipe that connect into one are leaking air, i have just taped the ends up and then pumped air in to check for leaks and these are causing quite a leak so would these be an issue or is this normal on exhaust manifolds.
    I have looked at new ones but they are £800 from germany or you can get aftermarket jobs made by BM for £ 55 unsure if these are any good?

Any input appreciated.

Cheers Ben
    CCGB 3172

88 Silver Mk2 Golf / NEW HOME

94 Dragon Green Corrado VR6

03 Jazz Blue Lupo 1.4, named Efole

Quote Originally Posted by captainredeye View Post
    Hey, i have had a leak on the vr6 exhaust manifold leading to a bit of a blow, not unpleasant but could be effecting performance.

Now i have noted a couple of things the mating surfaces for the gaskets on the cast iron are not perfect and quite rough in places, so could this be an issue?

Also the two flexi pipe that connect into one are leaking air, i have just taped the ends up and then pumped air in to check for leaks and these are causing quite a leak so would these be an issue or is this normal on exhaust manifolds.
    I have looked at new ones but they are £800 from germany or you can get aftermarket jobs made by BM for £ 55 unsure if these are any good?

Any input appreciated.

Cheers Ben

Not long had a BM down pipe, had to send it back, it was 15 degrees out at the plate and also had awful rough welding basically a piece of junk. Not sure If you can get another aftermarket down pipe I looked hard, have you considered some headers you can get some from Germany for half the price of a new down pipe from VW Classics. The best decision would be to go for the original new but very expensive,

You might also find that you have a couple of faults codes because of the air leak, air mixture adaption and the Lambada sensor.

On the other hand I got a aftermarket EEC Cat which was exceptionally well made. Might be worth calling EEC and see if they make a downpipe. ( EEC British company)
    Last edited by Keyo; 3 Days Ago at 6:05 PM.

Well I may risk a second hand one on eBay
    CCGB 3172

Ive got one only £798.00 ha , only joking better off getting one second hand then the BM , although it really is down to the engineer making the part in the BM factory I must of had the lazy rotter make mine.

Well the BM are £55 just seems a little to cheap to be any good and I have generally had bad experiences with pattern parts
    CCGB 3172

To be fair the materials that they used to manufacture it were great, it was just the engineer that fabricated it did a lousy job a shame.