Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Advice on Mk7 GTI PP Remap

  1. #1
    Enthusiast Keyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    16th December 2018
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    796

    Advice on Mk7 GTI PP Remap

    Hi Guys,

    So I sold my R129 SL500 because of the new low emissions zone coming into Birmingham and decided to keep My Rado as my weekend classic as it's more fun to drive. As a daily I put my funds from the R129 to a MK7 GTI performance pack with 230 BHP. The R was in the same price range but as I've always had GTI'S in the past and I'm loyal to that specification and also prefer the looks, might be on my own there as I'm sure most would go for the R but for me it's a bit over kill and I find the R branding less cool as the GTI.

    So question has anyone had a remap or know what is the safe BHP you can go up to without putting additional strain/damage on the cars components.

    Cheers.

  2. #2
    CF-oholic! Jon_vr6's Avatar
    Join Date
    18th September 2006
    Location
    Cheadle Hulme, Stockport
    Posts
    4,619
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyo View Post
    Hi Guys,

    So I sold my R129 SL500 because of the new low emissions zone coming into Birmingham and decided to keep My Rado as my weekend classic as it's more fun to drive. As a daily I put my funds from the R129 to a MK7 GTI performance pack with 230 BHP. The R was in the same price range but as I've always had GTI'S in the past and I'm loyal to that specification and also prefer the looks, might be on my own there as I'm sure most would go for the R but for me it's a bit over kill and I find the R branding less cool as the GTI.

    So question has anyone had a remap or know what is the safe BHP you can go up to without putting additional strain/damage on the cars components.

    Cheers.
    Mountune and fifteen 52 have just announced a joint venture called m52 which will be providing remap for the volkswagen cars. Noteably the gti and r models have a look.

  3. #3
    Enthusiast pfnsht's Avatar
    Join Date
    2nd February 2018
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    431
    Good choice, I would take the GTI over the R any day ...

    1) Less likely to get stolen
    2) Smaller turbo so spools up quicker and more linear to drive
    3) Over 100kilo's lighter
    4) More heritage and imo they look a lot nicer.
    5) GTI handles really well, for me the main benefit of the 4wd is for quick launches but that's not something I'd partake in.

    As for remap stage 1 shouldn't cause you any problems and that will get you to around 310 bhp. I'm not sure if Vince @ Stealth tunes these newer cars on the rolling road? Personally I'd want a map matched and tuned to my car rather than a generic revo/superchips etc. and I know Stealth will do a proper job.

    Pictures please when you're ready
    Last edited by pfnsht; 15th May 2019 at 1:40 PM.
    1995 White VR6 CCGB Member 4303

  4. #4
    Enthusiast Keyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    16th December 2018
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    796
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_vr6 View Post
    Mountune and fifteen 52 have just announced a joint venture called m52 which will be providing remap for the volkswagen cars. Noteably the gti and r models have a look.
    Thanks Jon just paid you over for them parts much appreciated fellow . I will have a look into them companies I have heard of Montune they are partners with Ford and you still get to hold your warranty, I know this would be not the case with VW but Ford must trust them to keep the three year warranty on a tuned car.

  5. #5
    Enthusiast pfnsht's Avatar
    Join Date
    2nd February 2018
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    431
    I might have over estimated the stage 1 - 260bhp? Depends where you read.
    1995 White VR6 CCGB Member 4303

  6. #6
    Enthusiast Keyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    16th December 2018
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    796
    Quote Originally Posted by pfnsht View Post
    Good choice, I would take the GTI over the R any day ...

    1) Less likely to get stolen
    2) Smaller turbo so spools up quicker and more linear to drive
    3) Over 100kilo's lighter
    4) More heritage and imo they look a lot nicer.
    5) GTI handles really well, for me the main benefit of the 4wd is for quick launches but that's not something I'd partake in.

    As for remap stage 1 shouldn't cause you any problems and that will get you to around 310 bhp. I'm not sure if Vince @ Stealth tunes these newer cars on the rolling road? Personally I'd want a map matched and tuned to my car rather than a generic revo/superchips etc. and I know Stealth will do a proper job.

    Pictures please when you're ready
    Thanks Pfnsht the list you written is my exact thoughts, you tend to see a lot more chavs in the R models to , sorry for those that are not.

    I actually went for a White one which has not been my first choice in the past because of the Essex brigade, however I think VW's look so cool in white ie like your Rado, also the white contrasts really nicely with the black accents, chrome and shadow alloys and plaid interior. The car also had a few extras which I was looking for, Performance Pack, 19' alloys, 3 doors (no keyless start + thiefs like the 5 doors to get all the crooks in and out quick), Nav, and winter pack so cant wait to pick her up tomorrow.

    I will wait in till the warranty runs out in 9 months and have a chat to Vince, 310 BHP just makes me laugh , that is only 10 bhp less then a 911 997.1!!

  7. #7
    Enthusiast pfnsht's Avatar
    Join Date
    2nd February 2018
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    431
    Haha I did think about adding the chav comment to the list You are correct though. It's probaby 50/50 around my way.

    I never used to like white but I do like the crisp-ness of a clean white car. My other car (family estate - a late Seat Exeo Sport) is also white!

    Sounds a nice spec yours, did you go manual or dsg?
    1995 White VR6 CCGB Member 4303

  8. #8
    Enthusiast Keyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    16th December 2018
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    796
    Quote Originally Posted by pfnsht View Post
    Haha I did think about adding the chav comment to the list You are correct though. It's probaby 50/50 around my way.

    I never used to like white but I do like the crisp-ness of a clean white car. My other car (family estate - a late Seat Exeo Sport) is also white!

    Sounds a nice spec yours, did you go manual or dsg?
    I went manual chap bit old skool with the old gear box like to be the main decision maker not the computer. Also I imagine white stays cooler then other cars in the sun.

  9. #9
    Enthusiast pfnsht's Avatar
    Join Date
    2nd February 2018
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    431
    Yay - long live the manual.

    I once had a DSG in a Leon FR and hated it. I became lazy and left it in drive and never got on with the way it used to always jump to the highest, most fuel efficient gear possible. Especially crossing A-Road style roundabounts where it always went into 4th on exit when I just wanted 3rd for a little longer, que stamping the peddle and kick down to 2nd made for a bloody irratating drive. I know I could overide it with the paddles but at that point I'd may aswell be getting the full manual experience. My 2pence.
    1995 White VR6 CCGB Member 4303

  10. #10
    CF-oholic! Jon_vr6's Avatar
    Join Date
    18th September 2006
    Location
    Cheadle Hulme, Stockport
    Posts
    4,619
    I replaced the corrado with a golf gti PP in manual guise went for night blue. I haven't regretted it one bit so far loving having aircon finally lol.

Similar Threads

  1. Remap
    By Chuggs1 in forum Engine Bay
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 6th November 2015, 3:16 PM
  2. G60 remap
    By Dan7690 in forum Engine Bay
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14th June 2015, 3:53 PM
  3. Vr6 remap
    By VR6 Lee in forum Engine Bay
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26th May 2014, 8:28 AM
  4. Remap a VR6??
    By Johnny H in forum Engine Bay
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 27th March 2012, 7:28 PM
  5. Damage whilst in for remap ! - advise me please.
    By dtjames in forum Engine Bay
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 1st August 2003, 8:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
We are the world's largest community for VW's Super Coupé! Be it 8v, 16v, G60 or VR6 (or maybe something else!), everybody's welcome! If this is your first visit, be sure to click register and fill out your details before you can post.
Help us
This site is run on donations.
Please help keep the forum alive!
Follow us
advertising & sponsorship
Are you a company looking for advertising that could benefits our users? For site & forum sponsorship, please see our dedicated microsite here.