Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home made tools

Enthusiast

Home made tools

Just been reading about removing the rid ring from the petrol tank.You can make a tool to remove it
    So what is the best or any home made tool you have made

They are cheap enough to buy, it would be difficult to make one much cheaper. Most time-saving tool I've made I use to route the door lock pin through the hole in the door card when I've taken it off and am putting it back on. It's a 4 inch piece of stiff plastic hose with an ID large enough to put over the pin, but with an OD small enough to get through the hole in the door card

Another tool I made is for bleeding brakes and clutch. It's a very large syringe with a long hose affixed to it that fits snugly over all the bleeders. Using it I can bleed my brakes and clutch by myself.
    Last edited by a_riot; 16th May 2019 at 9:17 PM.

CF Nutter
    Metal hair clip for removing pins from electric connectors. I have the Laser tool and found the hair clip tip to be more effective. Nice guide on YouTube.
    CCGB 2278
    Past VW Drives: 86 Golf CL, 90 Golf GTI, 90 Corrado 16v, 90 Golf GTI, 96 Golf GTI, 94 Storm Grey Corrado VR, Polo 1.4 CL, 88 Jetta GTI, 90 Golf GTI , 2003 Fabia vRs, 00 Polo GTI
    Current Drives: 94 Aqua Blue VR 89 Golf Mk2 GTI
    07 Fabia VRS Special Edition, Octavia VRS Estate, Kawasaki ZZR 600.

Unwound paper clip for adjusting dash clock!

Not really home made, but a hollow ratchet spanner and socket for bleeding brake nipples - very handy

and a little Victorinox (Swiss Army knife makers) ratchet handle with a screw driver bit for getting at those hard to reach screws in the dash vents.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

One of the most useful tools I made was a strip of 1/4 in steel with a series of holes about 3 inches apart which were big enough for the wheel brace handle to fit through and a 4 inch bit of angle iron welded on as a base. Used it to support the wheelbrace to stop it slipping off the bolts when trying to undo tight wheelnuts. Place it next to the wheel, select the nearest hole and you can apply a lot more force to undo. It unfortunately ended up in someone elses boot after we undid a really stubborn wheel. I now keep an old scissor jack in the boot to use in a similar way.
    Alpine White 1990 1.8 16v gone to a new home.

Current mode of transport 2001 Megane Cabrio, apologies.

The older I get the more I recall how little I knew when I knew it all.

Enthusiast
    I have an old bit of brake line with a banjo connector on the end, which, when combined with a track pump, was a really good way of getting brake pistons out of motorbike calipers.
    I've since bought a specific pair of pliers for the job though, so it wasn't that good!
    Corrado G60

Best 3 tools I've semi made are:

1) using a 6mm combination spanner with a small Philips screwdriver bit super glued in the ring spanner end, great way to undo the small retaining screw for the Corrado ignition switch.

2) using an old spare oil pump gear from a 9A eng block, and welded the gear to a 1/2" X 7" long metal bar, then grinded away the gear teeth, to gain access to the oil pump shaft, basically there are female splines in the centre of the gear that slide on the male splines of the oil pump shaft on the 9A eng.
    Great way to manually spin the oil pump in situ, if you've done any engine work to the bearings or the oil pump, it allows you to prime the oil pump before starting.

3) used a 1" X 1/2" X 18" long piece of wood, and taped a small spirit level to the centre of the 1" flat side, used this to set up my camber on my Corrado.

Si
    Had MK2 1.8 Scirocco Scarla 1998 to 2002
    had it lowered on original wheels,
    K&N air fitler and Janspeed exhaust system.

Now have 94 M reg Corrado 2.0 16v since 2002 still got it, been off the road now since early 2015
    hoping to get it finished this year.

Also have a 2015 Seat Ibiza TSI i-tech as my daily driver. Plus I'm on The SEAT Forum.

Link to 16v torque settings if needed by anyone.
    http://the-corrado.net/showthread.ph...fuel-pressures

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    Quote Originally Posted by vw rule View Post
    Best 3 tools I've semi made are:

1) using a 6mm combination spanner with a small Philips screwdriver bit super glued in the ring spanner end, great way to undo the small retaining screw for the Corrado ignition switch.

2) using an old spare oil pump gear from a 9A eng block, and welded the gear to a 1/2" X 7" long metal bar, then grinded away the gear teeth, to gain access to the oil pump shaft, basically there are female splines in the centre of the gear that slide on the male splines of the oil pump shaft on the 9A eng.
    Great way to manually spin the oil pump in situ, if you've done any engine work to the bearings or the oil pump, it allows you to prime the oil pump before starting.

3) used a 1" X 1/2" X 18" long piece of wood, and taped a small spirit level to the centre of the 1" flat side, used this to set up my camber on my Corrado.

Si
    Would love to see a picture of your No1. Sounds brilliant
    Cress
    95 VR6
    One day she will drive out of my Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cressa View Post
    Would love to see a picture of your No1. Sounds brilliant
    Cheers no worries.
    Just sent you a PM

Si
    Had MK2 1.8 Scirocco Scarla 1998 to 2002
    had it lowered on original wheels,
    K&N air fitler and Janspeed exhaust system.

Now have 94 M reg Corrado 2.0 16v since 2002 still got it, been off the road now since early 2015
    hoping to get it finished this year.

Also have a 2015 Seat Ibiza TSI i-tech as my daily driver. Plus I'm on The SEAT Forum.

Link to 16v torque settings if needed by anyone.
    http://the-corrado.net/showthread.ph...fuel-pressures

This is the guy I use for those hard to reach ones:
    https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Ra.../dp/B00LFKZ374

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery