Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MK2 Golf VR6 2.8

I had a 1990 8v GTI 3-door, with the PB Digifant engine for over 10 years, and loved it - it was a cracking car to drive, and the low down torque made it perfect for a daily. It didn't have power steering, which was a but of a pain, but I retrofitted that a couple of years before I sold it on.

The VR is a completely different car, if based on the same chassis - it feels much more modern and comfortable and more planted. It has wide track for a reason, so a good PAS set up and wide track conversion would be needed to get the most out of a Mk2 running a VR6 - you can always fit G60 arches to make it look a bit better.

The Corrado is much, much easier to drive at speed and on long journeys (a true GT car), both both handle really well on back roads and twistys.

Having worked on both and had the interior out of both, the build quality and attention to detail was definitely better on the Corrado, but it was built in a dedicated factory by Karmann as a premium car. Mk2s were built in lots of different factories and probably vary more in quality, but then some Corrados do as well. Not sure, but maybe all GTIs were built in Wolfsburg?

If it was me I'd stick with the 8v or 16v in the Golf to keep the original character of the cars.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by fendervg View Post

If it was me I'd stick with the 8v or 16v in the Golf to keep the original character of the cars.
    This!

I've had a few MK2's - put 1.9 and 2.0 blocks in them.. heads,valve, cams etc they absolutely fly - my favourite was the 1900, a squarer engine, loved reving.. all setup brake and suspension wise - absolutely no problem hanging with MK3 VR's

Quote Originally Posted by fendervg View Post
    I had a 1990 8v GTI 3-door, with the PB Digifant engine for over 10 years, and loved it - it was a cracking car to drive, and the low down torque made it perfect for a daily. It didn't have power steering, which was a but of a pain, but I retrofitted that a couple of years before I sold it on.

The VR is a completely different car, if based on the same chassis - it feels much more modern and comfortable and more planted. It has wide track for a reason, so a good PAS set up and wide track conversion would be needed to get the most out of a Mk2 running a VR6 - you can always fit G60 arches to make it look a bit better.

The Corrado is much, much easier to drive at speed and on long journeys (a true GT car), both both handle really well on back roads and twistys.

Having worked on both and had the interior out of both, the build quality and attention to detail was definitely better on the Corrado, but it was built in a dedicated factory by Karmann as a premium car. Mk2s were built in lots of different factories and probably vary more in quality, but then some Corrados do as well. Not sure, but maybe all GTIs were built in Wolfsburg?

I'am becoming open minded to a 8v now as they seem to be a lot better value, but owned a 16v back in the early 90s, it was runout model, had the rainbow interior and if I remember correctly something like a black edition, can't remember .

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    My 90 8V came alive with a ported head, exhaust and AmD (then of Oxford) chip, 128 BHP sounds puny by todays standards, but its one car I wished I'd never sold.