Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MK2 Golf VR6 2.8

MK2 Golf VR6 2.8

Hi Guys,

Has anyone owned or driven a MK2 golf modified 2.8 AAA engine.

How does the car drive with a heavier engine block, does it feel fast.

Do most people that have converted them withdraw the information from DVLA and Insurance companies because I like to be on the ball with insurance myself.

Are there insurance companies that are happy to insure an engine swap MK2 golf.

Thank You.

Hello there,

have a read of this forum thread from Pistonheads.com it's got a lot of information regarding the MK2 Golf VR6 conversion.

Link below:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...f=86&t=1222215

Si
    Had MK2 1.8 Scirocco Scarla 1998 to 2002
    had it lowered on original wheels,
    K&N air fitler and Janspeed exhaust system.

Now have 94 M reg Corrado 2.0 16v since 2002 still got it,
    been off the road now since early 2015
    hoping to get it finished this year.

Also have a 2015 Seat Ibiza TSI i-tech as my daily driver.

Quote Originally Posted by vw rule View Post
    Hello there,

have a read of this forum thread from Pistonheads.com it's got a lot of information regarding the MK2 Golf VR6 conversion.

Link below:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...f=86&t=1222215

Si
    Great Si thanks for the link Ill have a good read of that.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyo View Post
    Hi Guys,

Has anyone owned or driven a MK2 golf modified 2.8 AAA engine.

How does the car drive with a heavier engine block, does it feel fast.

Do most people that have converted them withdraw the information from DVLA and Insurance companies because I like to be on the ball with insurance myself.

Are there insurance companies that are happy to insure an engine swap MK2 golf.

Thank You.
    I'd be inclined to tell your insurance company because if you were involved in a traffic incident, and someone had to come out from your insurance to assess the damage, and see the MK2 Golf isn't standard then your insurance could be void, as in their eyes you've made the cars performance jump from a 4cyl with 115BHP or 139BHP up to a 6cyl with 178 BHP.

Yes you can tell your insurance of any none standard modification from factory you've added, but I believe what they really care about are any modifications that enhances the cars performance, so an engine change would be spotted if they knew what they were looking for. But if you had the car looking say, standard but had the engine re-mapped, different cams fitted, forged pistons fitted, increased the fuel pressure, you'd more than likely get away with it, because no one can see anything has been changed.

Your best bet is phone around first before you start your VR6 project and get different quotes, other than that you'll have to go to a insurance company that specializes in modified cars.

Some insurers won't touch kit cars or modified cars or high performance cars.

Si

That's a really good price £174 for comprehensive insurance for a VR6 modified Golf, to be honest the Golf chassis should be able to take the extra BHP as the Corrado partly came from the MK2 Golf.

I did a Silverstone track day in a Ferrari 360 roughly about 2 years ago, I was chatting to the instructor in the old pit lane just before we set off, anyway he asked what car do I drive so at the time had my old MK3 Polo, plus said I've also got a Corrado, he replied the MK2 Golf chassis is one of the best VW ever made,
    and told me is why the Corrado handles so well
    as VW used a great foundation in using the MK2 Golf. Also said the VR6 is one hell of an engine, and mentioned about the KR 16v that in it's time was one of the best engines they used in the MK2 Golf.

Sounds like the Golf you're getting has been done well from what you've mentioned / listed above.

Si

Few of my mates have owned and built mk2 vr6's in the past, yes they are fast but had mixed opinions of handling. My mate said his handled really well and I don't even think it was wide track, they do spin the wheels pretty easily but that's to be expected really when you don't have 10 tonnes of bonnet weight like the corrado.

Regards insurance, 100% declare everything, some companies insure it like you are insuring the mk3 whilst others just declare it as modifications and uprated BHP I think.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting parts, if you can find a reg number from the original engine or 1 from the same era you just need know when to use which number plate. You quickly learn whats original and whats not!

Red 16v gone
    Red VR32.. WIP

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    Looks like an obd1 dizzy engine to me?

Quote Originally Posted by Dox View Post
    Looks like an obd1 dizzy engine to me?

Spot on Dox it is so, I imagine the OBd2 option would be more favourable/power gains but perhaps the OBD1 was an easier install.

The implanted engine number is AAA code 2792 cc - 175BHP. Came off a J reg MK3 Golf Vr6, with 90K on the clock.

Would of been nice if it was a 2.9 Corrado engine.

I have managed to get the seller to go back to Jam sports who did the install and produce a formal document of the engine change so I can send it with the V5 to the DVLA so fully on board .

I would have opted for a clean 16V but a good one is asking 10 k, even seen them for 15k, and I couldn't justify that sort of money, could probably easily spend another 3k on them getting them up to scratch. I suppose the bonus is the Golf sounds immense with the headers and six pot. To be fair what I'm paying for the car is the amount that the seller paid for the VR6 Engine and auxiliaries and the garage to install it. Jam sport charged him 2.5k + Vat

Question.

The golf is H registration plate 1991, it does not have a cat fitted at present, it has headers and a straight pipe. Does it require a cat fitted by law or did they come out of the factory without a Cat.

Thanks
    Last edited by Keyo; 10th June 2019 at 3:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftkid View Post
    Few of my mates have owned and built mk2 vr6's in the past, yes they are fast but had mixed opinions of handling. My mate said his handled really well and I don't even think it was wide track, they do spin the wheels pretty easily but that's to be expected really when you don't have 10 tonnes of bonnet weight like the corrado.

Regards insurance, 100% declare everything, some companies insure it like you are insuring the mk3 whilst others just declare it as modifications and uprated BHP I think.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting parts, if you can find a reg number from the original engine or 1 from the same era you just need know when to use which number plate. You quickly learn whats original and whats not!
    Thanks for the advice swiftkid I have declared the mods.

Thankfully I also have the original registration plate of the donor car. MK3 Golf VR6

One thing that did make me chuckle is after reading the VR6 conversion forum a couple of posts said they got hold of a Rado VR6 for donor snd decided to keep it and sell on the the MK2 golf.