Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VR6 not starting - Odd symptoms

VR6 not starting - Odd symptoms

Having some issues with my VR, and I’m hoping one of the experts on here can come to the rescue.

Car is a ‘92 VR6

Long story, Tuesday morning had to drive through a bit of a flood to get to work, but it was very close to the office, so I stopped almost straight after. Then at the end of the day, it started but cut out after around 30 seconds, no sputtering, just cut. Then it would crank but couldn’t get it to fire.

Left it at work and then this morning, still wouldn’t start, cranked but no firing, lunch time cranked and fired maybe once but wouldn’t run, end of the day tinkered with it a bit and it gradually fired more and more over a few goes, and then started running.

Got about a mile down the road and it cut out again, and would again crank but not run.

Checked ignition system, all seems okay, checked spark, it’s there, checked ecu plug, all clean, check fuel pressure in at the rail, plenty

Initially I thought something had got damp in the flood but I couldn’t see any water anywhere and now the only thing I can think is maybe the crank sensor has gone and is stopping the injectors from firing?
    Can I check the crank sensor with a multimeter on continuity? Should get a pulse when cranking right?

If you’ve read all that thanks, and any help would be really appreciated!

Hi Chaz . I have a 92 as well. My thoughts are still going towards moisture in the electrics . If the car was running well before and then it got wet the chances are it’s still got moisture in it somewhere. The crank sensor is often first blamed but seldom the case . But it this instance considering where it’s situated I would check this first. I’m more mechanical so I can’t help with testing, but I would remove the sensor and check the plug for moisture, clean it with contact cleaner and see what happens.

92 VR6 . DBP. She will never be a show car ..... But will be up there with the best of em .

The bmw seems invincible in isolation . But along side the corrado - a modern classic , we think- it has its work cut out . Autocar 1992.

Unplug the crank sensor and spray it with some contact spray.

How high was the flood , you ha ent sucked water into your intake ? Check air filter is dry .

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    A faulty crank sensor gives no spark or fuel injected - the ecu doesn’t know where the engine is in its cycle.

If is a dizzy engine take the cap off and look for water ingress. Have a look at the large round multi plug on the engine for ingress and corrosion.

After cranking and a non start pull a plug out and see if it’s wet with fuel to confirm the injectors are firing.

Also check ecu relay 109. Best to replace to rule it out
    Hasan
    VR6 Auto to manual conversion, beige leather, aircon, TT comps, blue dash lights & switches, Koni TA/Nothelle springs, OBD2, 264 cams, Schrick

my car

Quote Originally Posted by robrado974 View Post
    Hi Chaz . I have a 92 as well. My thoughts are still going towards moisture in the electrics . If the car was running well before and then it got wet the chances are it’s still got moisture in it somewhere. The crank sensor is often first blamed but seldom the case . But it this instance considering where it’s situated I would check this first. I’m more mechanical so I can’t help with testing, but I would remove the sensor and check the plug for moisture, clean it with contact cleaner and see what happens.
    Okay, I can do that, moisture was my first thought too but as I said a check of the coil, dizzy, plugs and leads seemed to show no problems, and I do have a spark as it fired and ran.
    There’s defo fuel in the lines as loosening the clip by the rail causes it to p### out

Quote Originally Posted by Keyo View Post
    Unplug the crank sensor and spray it with some contact spray.

How high was the flood , you ha ent sucked water into your intake ? Check air filter is dry .
    It was probably a good few inches, checked the filter and it was dry, as I said can’t see any water in the ignition electrics either. I did wonder if there is a fuel breather that perhaps I’ve pulled some water through

Quote Originally Posted by Dox View Post
    A faulty crank sensor gives no spark or fuel injected - the ecu doesn’t know where the engine is in its cycle.

If is a dizzy engine take the cap off and look for water ingress. Have a look at the large round multi plug on the engine for ingress and corrosion.

After cranking and a non start pull a plug out and see if it’s wet with fuel to confirm the injectors are firing.
    Yes I was unsure whether I was getting fuel in the cylinders so will do this when I get back to the car with a plug socket. Currently it’s stuck at work, 30 miles from home

Thanks so much for your help so far by the way guys, really appreciate it!

A few years back I had fairly similar issues on my VR after driving up a flooded motorway off ramp - ended up being related to the wiring to the cat being wet and corroded - there's the 02/Lambda sensor, and I think there's a temp sensor too, so worth getting a look underneath and checking it out.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by fendervg View Post
    A few years back I had fairly similar issues on my VR after driving up a flooded motorway off ramp - ended up being related to the wiring to the cat being wet and corroded - there's the 02/Lambda sensor, and I think there's a temp sensor too, so worth getting a look underneath and checking it out.
    That's interesting, and definitely worth checking, thanks mate.
    I'll have a look. Mine has a decat but still has a lambda fitted, don't think there's any other sensors down there though.

The only fuel breather that will be low enough to possibly be at risk in 3" to 4" flood water is the carbon canister, the base of the canister is open I believe to help vent, it's possible water could be sucked up if the recirculation value was open which is connected via two vacuum hoses, one from carbon canister and the other goes to the throttle body.

Or as the other guys have said could be water in the lower electronic sensors, or it could just be a coincidence that the car broke down there and then in water ?

The crank sensors can crack around their plastic covering, which then let in damp and can cause all kinds of starting problems.

Crank sensor and cam sensor are what tell the spark plugs and injectors to fire I think.

Coolant temp switch also known as the thermal transmitter, sometimes when these go the car won't fire up.
    Also as FENDERVG has mentioned about the lambda sensor, it is rare but sometimes they can cause none starting symptoms.

Are you a member of the AA or RAC,
    I'm just thinking of you getting your Corrado back home save and sound.

Si
    Last edited by vw rule; 5 Days Ago at 1:03 PM.
    Had MK2 1.8 Scirocco Scarla 1998 to 2002
    had it lowered on original wheels,
    K&N air fitler and Janspeed exhaust system.

Now have 94 M reg Corrado 2.0 16v since 2002 still got it,
    been off the road now since early 2015
    hoping to get it finished this year.

Also have a 2015 Seat Ibiza TSI i-tech as my daily driver.