Thread: car failed its mot on brakes

car failed its mot on brakes

my car has failed its mot - nearside rear imbalance, parking brake insufficient.

this car has had a complete brake replacement - everything

last year it passed its mot but the inspector said the rear nearside is weak but this year the inspector put it down as a major defect

i changed the rear calipers to mk3 vr6 although used had seen very little use as the caliper paint was still intact

initially i thought i had fitted the wrong hand brake cables - mk2 golf but today i checked and they are correct - pagid 1603mm

checked the handbrake cables and the nearside i can adjust right up to its max and with a bit of force i can still turn the rear
    nearside wheel with the handbrake on

do i still have air in this brake line? although i took my time doing this using the 2 man method

faulty caliper?

thanks

Possibly caliper but also likely the rear bias valve. If you handbrake cable is at the max adjustment, probably worth replacing both of those too. Remember when bleeding the rear, you need to ensure the bias valve is open so either weight on the wheels, or cable tie it open whilst bleeding.
    95 Classic Green VR6 - Jetex Cat Back|BMC CDA|VT mounts|Bilstein B12s|288mm front brakes|Mk4 Rears|Braided hoses|Daves16v shortshifter|Lupo wipers|Uprated headlight loom|
    http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=79984
    CCGB #3982

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    So it passed on the foot brake, failed on the handbrake?

I had the above and removed the disks and used a flap disc in an angle grinder to roughen the surface, then adjusted the cables to give similar drag on both sides on 2 or 3 clicks (4/5 locked them solid after).

Mine has OE callipers and had replacement disks and pads 2-3K prior to the fail

Quote Originally Posted by seanl82 View Post
    Possibly caliper but also likely the rear bias valve. If you handbrake cable is at the max adjustment, probably worth replacing both of those too. Remember when bleeding the rear, you need to ensure the bias valve is open so either weight on the wheels, or cable tie it open whilst bleeding.
    Hello thanks for the reply, it has a new bias valve installed and i did have it open while bleeding the system, The brakes were spongy but after a few hours driving they firmed up - i will order a new caliper and try it

Quote Originally Posted by Dox View Post
    So it passed on the foot brake, failed on the handbrake?

I had the above and removed the disks and used a flap disc in an angle grinder to roughen the surface, then adjusted the cables to give similar drag on both sides on 2 or 3 clicks (4/5 locked them solid after).

Mine has OE callipers and had replacement disks and pads 2-3K prior to the fail
    Fail sheet says brake system, foot brake left/right differential high , rear
    brake system, parking brake effort low rear
    brake system, parking brake defective nearside rear

As above i will replace the caliper and see what happens

CF Nutter
    did you know there are 3 different lengths of handbrake cable fitted to corrados.i had problems last year with mine
    1990 1.8 16v white

Sorry to digress here but is there any way to adjust the lengths of the handbrake cables? One appears to be longer than the other in my car, underneath the handbrake.
    Hasan
    VR6 Auto to manual conversion, beige leather, aircon, TT comps, blue dash lights & switches, Koni TA/Nothelle springs, OBD2, 264 cams, Schrick

my car

right i got back to this this evening - fitted the new caliper to the nearside

Fed the hand brake cables through and now they are different lengths once entering the hand brake tunnel (10mm difference)
    off side longer (previously it was the nearside)

now as i fitted the large chamfered nuts to the cables the the rear wheels are locked - i cant even fit the secondary lock nut

What the hell am i doing wrong

Apologies if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs, but have you wound the pistons in the calipers fully back?
    Alpine White 1990 1.8 16v gone to a new home.

Current mode of transport 2001 Megane Cabrio, apologies.

The older I get the more I recall how little I knew when I knew it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Wullie View Post
    Apologies if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs, but have you wound the pistons in the calipers fully back?
    yes my friend fully wound back!!

I have just ordered a new caliper to match the new one just fitted to the near side and i have ordered two new hand brake cables to the length as stated in etka 1615mm