Thread: Gearbox clatter

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆

Gearbox clatter

Started the car this weekend after the first time in a few months. The idle was rough and the car was a bit shaky once the revs dropped, but the biggest worry was when this happened, there was an occasional clattering noise coming from the gearbox. The noise seemed to go away when I raised the revs (or perhaps I couldn't hear it?), and also disappeared when I dipped the clutch, so it's definitely gearbox related. Car is SORN and in pieces (interior, wings and bumpers have been removed as it's going to the bodyshop for new sills next month), so I can't drive it other than a little bit in first and reverse.

The noise sounds maybe like a marble shaking in there when the whole car shudders.

I sense a big bill coming. Any ideas?
    2004 Skoda Fabia VRS (daily)
    1995 VW Corrado VR6 Classic Green - Koni T/A + H&R springs, BMC CDA, Climatronic, BBS RCs, 288mm brakes

Quote Originally Posted by tony_ack View Post
    Started the car this weekend after the first time in a few months. The idle was rough and the car was a bit shaky once the revs dropped, but the biggest worry was when this happened, there was an occasional clattering noise coming from the gearbox. The noise seemed to go away when I raised the revs (or perhaps I couldn't hear it?), and also disappeared when I dipped the clutch, so it's definitely gearbox related. Car is SORN and in pieces (interior, wings and bumpers have been removed as it's going to the bodyshop for new sills next month), so I can't drive it other than a little bit in first and reverse.

The noise sounds maybe like a marble shaking in there when the whole car shudders.

I sense a big bill coming. Any ideas?
    If it as VR6 are you Sure this is not the timing chain clattering because the guides have failed , if so do not drive the car or could lead to catastrophic engine failure.

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyo View Post
    If it as VR6 are you Sure this is not the timing chain clattering because the guides have failed , if so do not drive the car or could lead to catastrophic engine failure.
    My initial instinct was it was coming from the gearbox, with the wing off I can reach through and touch the gearbox end plate without getting under the car, and you can feel the rattle (appreciate that it will travel pretty far through metal regardless) Chains did cross my mind, but the noise completely disappears when the clutch is pressed, and returns as soon as I lift it.

The tensioners and chains were replaced about 50k ago, also had it open about 2k miles ago to install the original cams, primed the tensioner bolt correctly and car ran fine afterwards.
    1995 VW Corrado VR6 Classic Green - Koni T/A + H&R springs, BMC CDA, Climatronic, BBS RCs, 288mm brakes

⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆
    Regardless, it's going nowhere either way!

Quote Originally Posted by tony_ack View Post
    Regardless, it's going nowhere either way!
    OK it;s just when you said like marbles shaking, that is the exact description I have seen before for a failing timing chain.

Could be clutch release bearing

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_vr6 View Post
    Could be clutch release bearing
    I think so too

Clutch release bearing if it goes when you depress the clutch. May as well do chains at the same time if no history....
    1995 White VR6 CCGB Member 4303
    263 Cams & head refurb | 220 BHP Stealth remap| Miltek non res | Bilstein B12 | R32 Wishbone bushes | VT Mount