Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Oil Sensor Thread!

Another Oil Sensor Thread!

Gents,

I know this has been asked before but i cant seem to find a decent answer....

Does anybody know parts number or have links to the oil sensors that go into the housing on a abf or 9a?

I have 3 spaces for sensors and i would like to buy new parts. I dont have the old sensors for reference anymore.

Thanks in advance!

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

I renewed all my sensors /switches on my MK2 golf 16V kr recently. Part number 049 919 501 its the same as on the KR engine, I also changed the one at the rear of the block, the 2 pin brown thermal switch(yours will be white) and the two above the oil cooler.

They are now obsolete from VW , the best you can get are Beru ST053, Thats if its the three on the right side of the block your after under the distributor.

There are other aftermarket ones available but Beru you got to go with IMO. Quality !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beru-ST05...QAAOSwh8NbSNn8
    Last edited by Keyo; 1 Week Ago at 5:22 PM.

Wow, I forgot how responsive you guys are on this forum, I always get some good advice quickly on here!

Keyo, im replacing the ones on the oil cooler housing , the beru looks good , do you have a link for the correct ones for the front of the block?

FenderVg, I did have a quick look on parts cat but when trying to order there are lots of variations now , I will try again, thanks for the link.

From what I can remember and what I've found in my service history going back to 2009, I think these are the original part numbers for the 9A engine, possibly similar or the same for the ABF & KR

High pressure oil sensor switch
    (white 1.8 bar)
    Part number 056 919 081

Oil pressure secondary switch
    (brown 0.3 bar)
    Also you can get the blue one below.
    (Blue 0.4 bar)
    Part number 028 919 081H

Oil temp sender
    Part number 049 919 563A
    Normally fits in back of head on 9A & ABF
    the KR might be on the oil filter housing.

Si
    Had MK2 1.8 Scirocco Scarla 1998 to 2002
    had it lowered on original wheels,
    K&N air fitler and Janspeed exhaust system.

Now have 94 M reg Corrado 2.0 16v since 2002 still got it,
    been off the road now since early 2015
    hoping to get it finished this year.

Also have a 2015 Seat Ibiza TSI i-tech as my daily driver.

Quote Originally Posted by vw rule View Post
    From what I can remember and what I've found in my service history going back to 2009, I think these are the original part numbers for the 9A engine, possibly similar or the same for the ABF & KR

High pressure oil sensor switch
    (white 1.8 bar)
    Part number 056 919 081

Oil pressure secondary switch
    (brown 0.3 bar)
    Also you can get the blue one below.
    (Blue 0.4 bar)
    Part number 028 919 081H

Oil temp sender
    Part number 049 919 563A
    Normally fits in back of head on 9A & ABF
    the KR might be on the oil filter housing.

Si

I fitted the white oil switch to my Mk2 golf this weekend above the oil cooler , I tightened it then it seemed to loosen a bit and then go to the same tightness again which is pretty sturdy , hope I have not threaded it. Also fitted one of The Buri coolant sensors, the one that the spade ends fit on to on the side of the block KR engine , learning quickly one snapped off whilst tightening , these things are pretty damn fragile but look like a solid nut. Managed to tap an oversized flat head screwdriver into the bit left in the block and it bite enough so I could screw it out, came out in one piece thank god. Had to order a new sensor grrrr !

What would be folks tighten on these , say tighten in till stiff then half a turn ? , am I the only buffon that has snapped one of these !

Another thing is I would get some new female brass spade ends if doing this job as the end of the cables were pretty rotten and the spades literally fell off the end when dislodged with the rotten end of the fragile electric cable. I stripped back and made a nice thresh bit of end cable and put the new spade on.
    Last edited by Keyo; 1 Week Ago at 9:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyo View Post
    I fitted the white oil switch to my Mk2 golf this weekend above the oil cooler , I tightened it then it seemed to loosen a bit and then go to the same tightness again which is pretty sturdy , hope I have not threaded it. Also fitted one of The Buri coolant sensors, the one that the spade ends fit on to on the side of the block KR engine , learning quickly one snapped off whilst tightening , these things are pretty damn fragile but look like a solid nut. Managed to tap an oversized flat head screwdriver into the bit left in the block and it bite enough so I could screw it out, came out in one piece thank god. Had to order a new sensor grrrr !

What would be folks tighten on these , say tighten in till stiff then half a turn ? , am I the only buffon that has snapped one of these !

Another thing is I would get some new female brass spade ends if doing this job as the end of the cables were pretty rotten and the spades literally fell off the end when dislodged with the rotten end of the fragile electric cable. I stripped back and made a nice thresh bit of end cable and put the new spade on.
    I've just had a quick read through the Bentley Manual for the (9A) 16v engine,
    it'll be similar for the (KR) 16v.

Basically it doesn't give any torque settings for the oil pressure switches.

The OEM switches from new normally had a small amount of red or yellow thread lock on the centre of thread, you normally screw the oil pressure switch in by hand until it stops on the front edge of thread lock, you possibly might be able to just still turn it by hand another 1/4 or 1/2 turn, then it'll be too tight to turn by hand, so you'll need a spanner or ratchet and socket to tighten up properly,
    when using the spanner or ratchet it should start of really easy to turn the oil pressure switch, then as soon as you feel any slight resistance go easy.

For me personally I'd say (12 to 15 ft.Ib) max for the oil pressure switch, do not tighten anymore then that.

Oil filter housing bolts
    25 Nm (18 ft.Ib)

Oil cooler retaining nut
    25 Nm (18 ft.Ib)

Also says on the 16v engines that they have extra oil pray nozzles attached to base of cylinder bores, these nozzles open up at oil pressure above 3.5 bar (50 PSI)

Regarding the oil filter, make sure both surfaces are clean on oil filter housing face and oil filter sealing rubber ring,
    then smear small amount of oil or grease over oil filter sealing rubber ring,
    when refitting oil filter screw on by hand gently until it stops, then grip oil filter tightly and turn 3/4 to 1 full turn max, don't tighten anymore then that.

REMEMBER to smear a small amount of oil or grease on the oil filter sealing rubber ring, or you'll never be able to remove your filter next time.

Si

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    I doubt the sensors - especially the brass ones will take half a turn, 10mm x 1mm pitch, so essentially you’re trying to stretch the threaded part 0.5mm or crush the copper washer similar. I’d go finger tight and a nip and monitor for seepage.

Thanks for the advice guys, I should of posted this before fitting them , didn't help my old ones were very old that they took quite a bit of pressure to release and assumed the new ones must be the same . When I fit my new fuel injector lines and start the engine i'll be be examining the engine bay for leaks , knowing my luck it will be like Niagra falls in there.

Anyone know what the torque is for the Banjo bolts on the injector lines.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Keyo View Post
    Anyone know what the torque is for the Banjo bolts on the injector lines.

Cheers,
    According to the Bentley Manual,
    the 4 Banjo bolts for the injector pipes in the fuel distributor are:
    10 Nm (7 ft.Ib)

Large Banjo bolts around metering head are 20 Nm (15 ft.Ib)

Small Banjo bolts around metering head are 10 Nm (7 ft.Ib)

Plus are the same torque settings for large & small Banjo bolts on the fuel pressure regulator that's bolted to front of engine block on (KR) 1.8 16v
    Large Banjo 20 Nm (15 ft.Ib)
    Small Banjo 10 Nm (7 ft.Ib)

Also the same torque settings for both fuel pipes on the fuel pressure regulator on (9A) 2.0 16v this one is bolted to side of metering head.
    Large pipe 20 Nm (15 ft.Ib)
    Small pipe 10 Nm (7 ft.Ib)
    But this doesn't have Banjo bolts.

Hope this helps

Si
    Last edited by vw rule; 6 Days Ago at 2:41 PM.