Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear side arches

Rear side arches

Hi All,
    Last edited by Keyo; 3 Weeks Ago at 9:24 AM.

Just
    Last edited by Keyo; 3 Weeks Ago at 9:28 AM.

jesus keyo vw certainly know how to charge for some panels !

not a bit of wonder why so many corrados were written off after minor prangs

how bad is the rust i suppose you will not know until you start

cant see how mk2 panel pieces would fit as the lines are totally different

how about rust free panel cuts

Hi Geri,
    Last edited by Keyo; 3 Weeks Ago at 9:28 AM.

Here is
    Last edited by Keyo; 3 Weeks Ago at 9:29 AM.

Hello mate this is a real dilemma as all the Corrado panels are genuine only, we're unable to purchase any pattern panels because none were ever made only genuine,
    which is a kick in the balls

Virtually everything or most things for the MK1 & MK2 Golf are available panel wise, as they were mass-produced cars, whereas our Corrado's never quite reached one million.

The MK2 Golf rear arches are a lot different compared to our Corrado's, it might be possible to fabricate them to fit, but it would take some man hours to do that.
    Plus the Corrado rear arches are double skinned, so possibly the inner skin panel might have rusted too ?

Also I think the new front wings and rear wing panels for the Corrado at Classic Parts, are the early type one's from 1989 to 1992, so yes they will fit perfectly as they're a genuine item but they are not wide as the VR6 one's, there's at least 10mm difference between early & late wings front/rear.

Si
    Last edited by vw rule; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:21 AM.
    Had MK2 1.8 Scirocco Scarla 1998 to 2002
    had it lowered on original wheels,
    K&N air fitler and Janspeed exhaust system.

Now have 94 M reg Corrado 2.0 16v since 2002 still got it, been off the road now since early 2015
    hoping to get it finished this year.

Also have a 2015 Seat Ibiza TSI i-tech as my daily driver. Plus I'm on The SEAT Forum.

Link to 16v torque settings if needed by anyone.
    http://the-corrado.net/showthread.ph...fuel-pressures

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    Shell cuts are the way forward, unless you can find someone with the skills to hand form the sections

My Corrado has rust issues on the rear panel, outer sill lip that joins to rear wheel arch both sides, front right outer sill at base of A-piller, and the fuel flap area but the inner section up inside the wheel arch.

I made my own repair section for the rear outer sill that joins to arch, basically looking at the rear wheel arch the front lower section that has the 90 degree lip, that kicks down and under by 45 degree towards the rear axle beam. It's about 4" long and is the rear water run off from the sill, the N/S/R I've done.
    This took me ages to get the correct curve and shape by hammering and bending it in the vice.

The rear panel I've also done this was just small bubbling areas, that I totally cut the rust out, and again fabricated up pieces to fit correctly.

The drivers A-piller the base of it, this I've cut all the rust out and made a piece to fit, then sprayed loads of wax oil up behind it in the sill box section.

The fuel flap area I had to bite the bullet and purchase the inner skin panel, which is roughly £150
    From this panel I've already drilled and filed the two square holes to retain the plastic fixing clips, for the fuel flap locking motor. Then will cut out a section close to fuel flap, and do the same with the old rusty inner wheel arch, and weld it in carefully as I don't want too much heat, as it could distort the outer wheel arch panel.
    Plus I've got a new support bracket that the fuel filler neck bolts to.

Also I've fabricated a MK2 Golf battery tray to fit my Corrado.

To spend £1100 on just two panels and this is even before any work has started on it yet, is a nightmare

See if the body shop your possibly going to use can fabricate a repair panel section from a sheet of metal, a good panel beater / sprayer should be able to do that, it could cost £1000 for both sides, but might be a cheaper option than spending £1100 on two rear wings that are early spec one's, which would need fabricating to look like VR6 one's.

Your other option is to try and find a Corrado that is being sold for spares, and see if you can get the rear arches cut out, but then you've got the risk of those being rusty also ?

Si
    Last edited by vw rule; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:39 AM.

Now have 94 M reg Corrado 2.0 16v since 2002 still got it, been off the road now since early 2015

Also have a 2015 Seat Ibiza TSI i-tech as my daily driver. Plus I'm on The SEAT Forum.

Ideally it would be great if VW Heritage could produce repair panel sections for our Corrado's, like what they've done for the MK1 / MK2 Golfs.

We need front wing lower repair panels.

Rear wheel arch repair panel.

Rear outer sill rear section.

Fuel filler repair panel section.

I know what they'll say though,
    that there isn't enough of a demand for those, or it'll cost too much to produce them.

We might have to help our selves and chip in together financially, and get some repair panel sections made.

Look at the MGB owners club,
    for years and years they weren't able to get many parts including body panels, but they all worked together and now stock their own parts at the MGB owners club shop.

Si

hhhh
    Last edited by Keyo; 3 Weeks Ago at 9:29 AM.