Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M reg 16v 9A engine swop for a AGN Egine, has anyone done this?

M reg 16v 9A engine swop for a AGN Egine, has anyone done this?

Hi, I have a 1994 that I am contemplating on changing the engine as mine has done some miles and I want to keep it normal aspirated, I know the AGU engine is a direct fit onto my standard gearbox (as far as I know) but I wonder if anyone has done a AGN engine swop and are there any harness adapters around like for the AGU engine?

Thanks,

Enthusiast
    AGU is a 20vt isn't it, so not normally aspirated. What is the AGN engine?

If you're not going to up the power then an engine swap really isn't worth the time and effort in my opinion, better off keeping it original and rebuilding the engine you've got

AGU as far as I know is the 1.8 turbo and AGN is the 20v none turbo. I haven't got the facility to recondition my existing one and at 215k it will need a bit to do it properly. So my thinking was straight swop and doing another 100k

Swapping from a 9a to a 20v or a 20vt would be a similar swap I reckon. The only difference being some intercooler piping as you'll still need a custom downpipe, custom loom etc etc.

The loom itself I'd imagine to be very similar, CE2 swapping to something of that era isn't too difficult, heck I made my own conversion loom by picking up a wiring diagram and teaching myself. Clubgti pretty much has a full DIY loom conversion guide on the 1.8t, which as I said, should be very similar to the 20v.

Having driven a 1.8 20v non turbo you'll be highly disappointed compared with the 9a. If you are not in search of power and you only want to carry on driving the rado as it is I'd advise sourcing another 9a which you can either swap over or rebuild at your leisure, looking for an ABF (mk3 golf) or getting something like a 150bhp 1.8t.

Red 16v gone and long forgotten
    Red VR32.. Always a work in progress

Enthusiast
    Yep I'd agree with swiftkid, the 20v non turbo is a ****te engine (I have one in a Passat to potter to the rail station and back .. terrible) so not worth the time and effort. Don't understand your comment that you don't have the facility to recon your existing engine? If you can do an engine swap you can do a mini overhaul on a 16v, they're very basic. Cost wise, you'd probably do it for less than a swap too.

If you're gonna do a swap, get an ABF or 20vt as mentioned.

Even the newest AGU or AGN is almost 15 years old now so very few will have low miles and/or be in good shape to stick straight in, even if you did want to risk it from what would likely be an unknown source. As mentioned, get another 9A and refurb at your leisure.
    95 Classic Green VR6 - Jetex Cat Back|BMC CDA|VT mounts|Bilstein B12s|288mm front brakes|Mk4 Rears|Braided hoses|Daves16v shortshifter|Lupo wipers|Uprated headlight loom|
    http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=79984
    CCGB #3982

Thanks for the replies, the feeling is if it is for horsepower then a swop is worth it if just reliability then recon my one, so I have been looking today and found an accident damaged Golf (still running)with an AGU engine and mileage are bellow 80k with old services, if it runs well I might consider as a bit more power would be welcomed. If it is a relatively esay swop I can get a access to a ramp for 2 maybe 3 days, how big of a job is it?

95 Classic Green VR6 - Jetex Cat Back|BMC CDA|VT mounts|Bilstein B12s|288mm front brakes|Mk4 Rears|Braided hoses|Daves16v shortshifter|Lupo wipers|Uprated headlight loom|
    http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=79984
    CCGB #3982

Enthusiast
    Swapping into a corrado is the same as a Mk2 Golf, been done thousands of times and well detailed on many forums, so with some research you should be a'ok to do it in 2/3 days. It all comes down to how much of a perfectionist you are mind, I always spend waaay to long doing other bits when I have an engine out

Oh, you can buy looms already converted and ready to plug and play for about £200 off ebay etc, probably worth it for ease as you can sell all the bits you remove to get cash back

The physical swap is dead easy, mounts are off the shelf and you could probably get it done within a day - the time consuming bit is the little extra's, boost pipes etc. If you do your research, make sure you have all the parts there and ready to go on I don't see why you couldn't get it done but be prepared to not have it done in time (waiting on forgotten parts)

Red 16v gone and long forgotten
    Red VR32.. Always a work in progress