Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M reg 16v 9A engine swop for a AGN Egine, has anyone done this?

Enthusiast
    Another vouch for the 20v non turbo being a completely breathless weezy dog of an engine... to the point I seem to remember VW stopped using it in the GTI badged non turbo MK4 and went back to the 8v lump.

Like others have said I would recon the 9a or look at a ABF - a few subtle mods and they go so well, head port etc, or a factory 150bhp with the 20vt - but dare I say it they are a little boring without a few mods.

Regular
    I've done an engine rebuild on a 9A 16v. The cost of the bottom end rebuild wasn't crazy (around £500) it was the cost of all the other things that I hadn't factored in that really added up.
    If you are on the original clutch then you'd be crazy to not put one on at this point.
    All the engine mounts will need replacing if they haven't been done.
    Do you need to get the cylinder head refurbished at the same time? Probably
    The original coolant hoses probably won't seal again.
    Check that your subframe is in good condition.
    Non-genuine rear main oil seals don't seal. Geninue one's are v.expensive.

I ended up spending quite a bit more than I first budgeted. In hindsight a low mile ABF would have been a much cheaper replacement if you aren't too concerned about originality.

Neil

Thanks, I appreciate the help. I will do the turbo conversion now and sell my old 16v engine, maybe to someone it could be worth something.
    The irony is I have a really good low mileage 9A engine in my second Corrado that I bought as a barn find, been standing sealed up in garage for 12 years, bodywork and inside is close to new but my high mileage one is my daily runner. Just one last thing, between other GTI forums there seems to be mixed opinions on engines, some say AGU and others said AUM, is there a preferred engine and forgive my ignorance but the old Audi A3 engines are they the same as the VW ones, I assume they are.

Thanks, I appreciate the help. I will do the turbo conversion now and sell my old 16v engine, maybe to someone it could be worth something.
    The irony is I have a really good low mileage 9A engine in my second Corrado that I bought as a barn find, been standing sealed up in garage for 12 years, bodywork and inside is close to new but my high mileage one is my daily runner. Just one last thing, between other GTI forums there seems to be mixed opinions on engines, some say AGU and others said AUM, is there a preferred engine and forgive my ignorance but the old Audi A3 engines are they the same as the VW ones, I assume they are.

Enthusiast
    The AUM is a later spec engine with VVT and the KO3S variant of the turbo which will produce more power if you intend to map it... but it's drive by wire so sorting the throttle can cause issues - you would technically need the AGU throttle setup.

If you're going for the holy grail of 20vt engines you need a BAM code engine from the TT - factory 225BHP - software to 265-ishBHP and stronger internals

⋆⋆ CF Member ⋆⋆
    You can buy a rough bodied BAM engined TT now for sub £1k, xenon headlamps sell for 200 per pair, I’ve just sold a red leather interior for £300, so buying carefully and the conversion will cost you nothing

Enthusiast

A shame these only cane in lhd would be tempted .

Enthusiast
    4 x 4 corrado project