Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABS upgrade

ABS upgrade

Has anyone upgraded the ABS unit on their Corrado. I'm told the the MK3 golf one will fit (part no. 1H2614117B) with some modifications to the loom etc but I'm after a how to on it if possible. Can't find anything in the searches.
    Reason for this is I'm fitting a bam engine and want the brakes to back up the power increase. I'll be fitting bigger 312mm front and 256mm rears from the donor as well

Enthusiast
    The best upgrade is to remove it completely I reckon.

Otherwise I believe you want to search for 'Teves 20' upgrade

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.ph...tem-parts-list

Quote Originally Posted by Simeon View Post
    The best upgrade is to remove it completely I reckon.

Otherwise I believe you want to search for 'Teves 20' upgrade

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.ph...tem-parts-list
    I'm sorry but that is the worst advice I have ever heard. Putting aside the fact that removing the ABS system from a car originally fitted with ABS is now MOT fail-able, it's just plain stupid to simply remove it and expect your brakes to be better.

Yes, the mk3 golf teves20 system fits as per the above link, your best bet is finding a late passat b4 with ABS and take everything off that otherwise you need to do some cutting, splicing and lengthening of loom to get it to fit. Sadly finding a late Passat B4 with ABS is quite rare these days. As you'll be fitting a 1.8t I presume you'll be using a 'stubby' master cylinder from an Ibiza Cupra which is a larger piston, that should improve the braking. Have a look on club gti about focus master cylinder, they are the same as cupra ones as a fraction of the price, they just need a little tweak to fit them.

Also, hopefully you are not taking out a 6 pot to put a 4 pot in (judging from the 256mm rear brake comment its a valver), so you'll be able to upgrade to a 9" servo, or use the Teves20 servo.

Lastly, decent brake fluid and braided lines will help get a decent brake pedal. I've done all of the above and brakes are good, but brake pads let the whole system down at the moment.

Red 16v gone and long forgotten
    Red VR32.. Always a work in progress

AFAIK - if there is not a trace of the previous ABS system to be seen, i.e it has been removed completely, it will not be a fail. I've heard of passes where just the ABS light has been removed, but wouldn't chance it.

Teves 20 is a good bet, but hard to find at this stage. It won't give you much better braking though, just more reliable ABS with easier parts availability. Just replacing or refurbishing the brake master on these cars makes a huge difference as the one that's there will be 20-25 yrs old and the seals will be weeping.

There was a long discussion about this on here before, and the consensus was that you will never get a modern brake pedal feel on a Corrado without a lot of work and fabrication to the pedal, cylinder and servo as it's a matter of the mechanical advantage provided by the position of the pedal acting on the cylinder which is different.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftkid View Post
    I'm sorry but that is the worst advice I have ever heard. Putting aside the fact that removing the ABS system from a car originally fitted with ABS is now MOT fail-able, it's just plain stupid to simply remove it and expect your brakes to be better.
    Speaking of bad advice ... if there's nothing there there's nothing to fail.

Personally not a fan of ABS on these old cars, each to their own

It's a 2.0 8v I'm converting. It's got a 9" servo and I've got an Ibiza stubby for clearance. I'll look into the teves20 thread. Thanks for the replies

The 2.0 8v system shouldn't be that bad - it's a more reliable systems than the VR6, which is where most of the trouble lies. Do you have an all in one ABS pump and master cylinder assembly?

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

It's sperate like the VR6 not sure how to post a picture on here to show how it looks

Got to say Im no expert on this matter but a lighter Corrado with a four cylinder block is not that much difference then a Mk2 Golf which the majority had no ABS I believe, so maybe not a bad call to remove the abs system because there are so many damn thighs to go wrong. In regards to the VR much heavier and more power so it would probably be a bad idea to remove.

On another note My VR passed with no advisories today so very happy that have a years green card.

Quote Originally Posted by Simeon View Post
    Speaking of bad advice ... if there's nothing there there's nothing to fail.

Personally not a fan of ABS on these old cars, each to their own
    You can not be serious? You're calling my factual information bad advice? Based on the FACT my friend removed his abs system and ended up having to scrap the car because he failed MOT and couldn't be arsed to mess around any more, that's pretty sound advice. I agree that if you remove it in it's entirety and make everything it should pass but it's only recently this regulation has come, not sure if you got an MOT man who knows the car should have the system he could fail it.

Having driven with stock ABS teves02 system, teves20 and no ABS I know what I prefer. Anchoring on with both front wheels locked & absolutely no ABS assistance isn't my idea of fun.

Red 16v gone and long forgotten
    Red VR32.. Always a work in progress