Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: ABS upgrade

  1. #11
    pewpew shots fired..
    I removed the Teves02 and installed Teves20 in my VR6 some years ago. Teves02 is not reliable, as I did a semi hard break to not hit a deer the oil pump cracked.
    Did not see this until the morning after and the whole driveway was full of oil. Never got it to work properly after that even with a new pump installed at VAG.

    The Teves20 is a 4-way system and not 3 with a breaking force regulator that tend to lock up, Teves20 is better in my opinion.
    Only problem I had while installing was to get the ABS light to work as the only electrical scheme I could find was in russian.. The B4 Passat ABS light electronics fits the oem housing but the MK3 does not.
    The break booster from Passat fits straight on, and you need the mounting plate to go with it. If you go with the MK3 booster you need to cut and weld or modify it in some way as it has a ball in the end.
    And you need to change the rear ABS sensors as the OEM is to slow, think I got mine from a Polo. Aaand you need another clutch master cylinder, oem wont fit as it's to long.
    The master clutch cylinder needs to be mounted on the mounting plate before the break booster! I learned this the hard way..

    If you go this route try find a whole kit for sale on German ebay or something, from a B4 Passat.
    -93 Moonblue Pearl VR6 2.9 OEM+

  2. #12
    ⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆ stuarttaylor37's Avatar
    Join Date
    16th March 2012
    Posts
    745
    There is a Passat breaker on FB with the seller asking £2oo for the whole teves 20 system
    Last edited by stuarttaylor37; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:28 PM.

  3. #13
    ⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆ stuarttaylor37's Avatar
    Join Date
    16th March 2012
    Posts
    745
    Quote Originally Posted by fendervg View Post
    It won't give you much better braking though, just more reliable ABS with easier parts availability.
    I have both on two different cars, believe me there is a significant difference

  4. #14
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    15th October 2008
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    291
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftkid View Post
    You can not be serious? You're calling my factual information bad advice? Based on the FACT my friend removed his abs system and ended up having to scrap the car because he failed MOT and couldn't be arsed to mess around any more, that's pretty sound advice. I agree that if you remove it in it's entirety and make everything it should pass but it's only recently this regulation has come, not sure if you got an MOT man who knows the car should have the system he could fail it.

    Having driven with stock ABS teves02 system, teves20 and no ABS I know what I prefer. Anchoring on with both front wheels locked & absolutely no ABS assistance isn't my idea of fun.
    Mate, you've got to laugh, you've said you've provided factual information [note I'm only talking about the MOT fail part], then totally contradicted yourself to agree with me. The rules haven't changed, they can only test what's there, as you yourself have stated, if it's not fitted they can't test it therefore it cannot fail.

    No where have I suggested non-abs brakes are better, I have simply stated a preference, particularly on cars where the ABS is rarely functioning anyway in addition I provided the OP with more information to help his search plus a link to relevant thread to upgrade to a newer better system, per his original question.

  5. #15
    ⋆⋆ CF Donator ⋆⋆ swiftkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    24th May 2007
    Location
    Near Hull
    Posts
    2,851
    I'll put this nice and simple.

    FACT
    -An MOT man can and will fail MOT if ALL traces of the ABS have not been removed, this includes sensors, wiring, dash lights, ECU. That is not opinion, that is fact.
    -My mate removed the MOT but left traces of it, his car failed

    Contradiction you say?

    OPINION
    -It's a stupid idea to remove the ABS system, it's not a great system but Rome wasn't built in a day and everyone had to start somewhere.
    -In my opinion, rather than going backwards and removing things because they aren't very good, move forward and upgrade. Headlight looms, brakes, suspension. I can go on.

    Apologies from a grumpy man, I didn't intend to start an argument but I've seen soo many people recently on failbook asking how to remove everything from anything that makes things function correctly, things as stupid as lambda sensors, MAF's, water pumps, power steering, all in the name of "smoothing" and it's got my back up.

    Red 16v gone and long forgotten
    Red VR32.. Always a work in progress

  6. #16
    CF Nutter fendervg's Avatar
    Join Date
    13th June 2009
    Location
    Dublin, IE
    Posts
    2,099
    I think the consensus is that a working ABS system is better than just hydraulic and no ABS is better than no brakes!

    The Teves 20 is slightly better than 02/04, but mainly because it's more reliable and easier to work on. I've driven Passats and Mk3s with the latter and there is very little improvement over a well set up and refurbished standard VR6 system - the Mk4 and 5 systems are a vast improvement.

    If you plan on a full resto or strip down, then it makes sense to upgrade if you can get hold of the parts, but don't expect miracles. As I said earlier, I think if you replace or refurbish the master cylinder and make sure that there are no leaks from the servo and piping, a lot of the sponginess we are used to goes away. Problem is that you can't get the master cylinders new any more.
    ____________
    fendervg

    93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

  7. #17
    CF Nutter fendervg's Avatar
    Join Date
    13th June 2009
    Location
    Dublin, IE
    Posts
    2,099
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftkid View Post
    I'll put this nice and simple.

    FACT
    -An MOT man can and will fail MOT if ALL traces of the ABS have not been removed, this includes sensors, wiring, dash lights, ECU. That is not opinion, that is fact.
    -My mate removed the MOT but left traces of it, his car failed

    Contradiction you say?

    OPINION
    -It's a stupid idea to remove the ABS system, it's not a great system but Rome wasn't built in a day and everyone had to start somewhere.
    -In my opinion, rather than going backwards and removing things because they aren't very good, move forward and upgrade. Headlight looms, brakes, suspension. I can go on.

    Apologies from a grumpy man, I didn't intend to start an argument but I've seen soo many people recently on failbook asking how to remove everything from anything that makes things function correctly, things as stupid as lambda sensors, MAF's, water pumps, power steering, all in the name of "smoothing" and it's got my back up.
    This is why I don't like FB!
    ____________
    fendervg

    93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

  8. #18
    Super Moderator Kevin Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    5th March 2003
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    26,776
    Quote Originally Posted by fendervg View Post
    AFAIK - if there is not a trace of the previous ABS system to be seen, i.e it has been removed completely, it will not be a fail. I've heard of passes where just the ABS light has been removed, but wouldn't chance it.

    Teves 20 is a good bet, but hard to find at this stage. It won't give you much better braking though, just more reliable ABS with easier parts availability. Just replacing or refurbishing the brake master on these cars makes a huge difference as the one that's there will be 20-25 yrs old and the seals will be weeping.

    There was a long discussion about this on here before, and the consensus was that you will never get a modern brake pedal feel on a Corrado without a lot of work and fabrication to the pedal, cylinder and servo as it's a matter of the mechanical advantage provided by the position of the pedal acting on the cylinder which is different.
    Yep, worth fitting the OBD2 Golf system just to bin off the proportioning valve and the now obsolete pedal position sensor.

    Spot on with the pedal. The master cylinder fulcrum point is all wrong in the Corrado's pedal. It's too far down the pedal to offer any mechanical advantage as you say. Just means you have to push harder!

    You could take the pedal assembly from a later Golf (MK4,5, 6 etc) and bolt that in. The TTRS master cylinder is about 25mm and the VR6's is 23 iirc? So another good use of modern parts!

    Have you seen Project Binky on Youtube? Basically grafting an entire Celica GT4 running gear and engine into a BL Mini. That's what it's all about! Old and busted Corrado on the outside, new hotness inside and underneath.
    Did have: 94 Corrado R32
    Now have: 2004 Golf R32

  9. #19
    Super Moderator Kevin Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    5th March 2003
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    26,776
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftkid View Post
    recently on failbook asking how to remove everything from anything that makes things function correctly, things as stupid as lambda sensors, MAF's, water pumps, power steering, all in the name of "smoothing" and it's got my back up.


    I saw one from the MK5 GTI community where a chap removed his A/C system to fit a bigger intercooler, and then complained about being too hot last summer.

    Double

    Last edited by Kevin Bacon; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:39 AM.
    Did have: 94 Corrado R32
    Now have: 2004 Golf R32

Similar Threads

  1. 312 upgrade
    By M15 VW in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24th October 2015, 9:16 AM
  2. air box upgrade??
    By tombell999 in forum Engine Bay
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 22nd October 2008, 7:59 PM
  3. UPGRADE
    By underl_ne in forum General Car Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 15th November 2004, 8:40 PM
  4. ICE upgrade
    By VR6 in forum ICE 'n' Secure
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 3rd August 2004, 2:47 PM
  5. KR cam upgrade
    By Phil K in forum Engine Bay
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16th March 2004, 7:41 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
We are the world's largest community for VW's Super Coupé! Be it 8v, 16v, G60 or VR6 (or maybe something else!), everybody's welcome! If this is your first visit, be sure to click register and fill out your details before you can post.
Help us
This site is run on donations.
Please help keep the forum alive!
Follow us
advertising & sponsorship
Are you a company looking for advertising that could benefits our users? For site & forum sponsorship, please see our dedicated microsite here.