Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded light loom

I will post a picture of the loom once the seller emails me over one, oh hold cant post on here grrrrr.

Yeah, there's been lots of different types over the years, different number of relays, some do high beam and low, some both, some include sidelights in the wiring, and I've even seen an option for relayed fogs (probs not a good idea as most are afraid to turn them on in case the lenses crack!). They kind of evolved from the Mk1/2 looms and then the OEM connectors were added as the headlight casing and socket pin-out are different on the Corrado - the Golf looms just had standard H4 connector on them as far as I can remember.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

I saw this one too, but wasn’t impressed with the photo showing bumper indicators and fogs getting brighter as well as headlights. Can’t see indicators getting brighter because of headlight loom.
    4th one surely the last

Quote Originally Posted by 1xshaunx1 View Post
    I saw this one too, but wasn’t impressed with the photo showing bumper indicators and fogs getting brighter as well as headlights. Can’t see indicators getting brighter because of headlight loom.
    Hi Shaun ,

Hope all is well have you fitted your seals yet mate, bet they lift the car nicely ?

Are you on about the loom from Germany the expensive one ?

If it the ebay one says its just for the headlights not including fogs , he is an electrician pervert by the looks of his other goods for sale, has probably modded all his lights.
    Last edited by Keyo; 4 Weeks Ago at 6:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyo View Post
    If it the ebay one says its just for the headlights not including fogs , he is an electrician pervert by the looks of his other goods for sale, has probably modded all his lights.
    Ha ha - "electrician pervert", I like that - brings all sorts to mind - the Doc from Back to the Future being one...

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by fendervg View Post
    Ha ha - "electrician pervert", I like that - brings all sorts to mind - the Doc from Back to the Future being one...
    I'm going to buy one and see what they are like , he says he owns a Rado so please don't booby trap my loom if you read this

Quote Originally Posted by Keyo View Post
    I'm going to buy one and see what they are like , he says he owns a Rado so please don't booby trap my loom if you read this
    I’d be interested to know what you think of it. Let us know.

I have to say there's only so much you can do with upgraded looms and so on. Even my '96 car was beginning to fail MOTs because the lights were pathetic. The only solution was to have the headlamp reflectors resilvered. Costs a lot more than a wiring loom tho ..
    [ WARNING: the above message may contain irony, sarcasm and outright lies. ]

** Every time you think about sex, another Corrado gets written off. **

I think the best bet is to get your reflectors re-coated and use a loom. Even with perfect reflectors, the voltage at the headlight will still be lower than it should be and cause a drop in the light output - this is simply a design flaw and facto of life for early VAG cars because of the way the loom is run and the current is routed through the headlight switch.

For example, H4 bulb output at different voltages:
    13,5V 55Watt
    12V 51Watt
    11V 44Watt
    10V 38Watt
    9V 31Watt

If you go and measure yours at the headlight connector, you'll be luck to see 11V there, more 9-10V

Of course some of the newer uprated standard bulbs such as Osram Nightbreakers or Bosch +150 will help too.

93 Corrado VR6
    Members Gallery